• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV HighBack Seats

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite easy actually....remove the old seat assy from the floor, lots of rivets to be ground off and or drilled, once its out, you need the 2 channel plates and 2 backing plates. Attach the channel plates to your seat base, set it In the truck in the neutral position, you may even want to put the seat on the base and get a feel for it....then drill a few holes to hold the channel plate, 3/16 drill size. Then remove the seat base and drill the rest of the holes.
the rear channel plate is approx 1.5 to 2in in front of the old holes from the old seat base as a general guide....but I have seen this vary all over in all the trucks I have seen with them installed.
follow the steps I outlined and you should be good.....I use 3/4 10/24 machine screws to secure the channel plate and backing plate.....you an also use if you like, some liquid nails on the back of the channel plates before you secure them with your nuts and bolts.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add....secure the channel plates with screws tightly enough to hold the plate when you had the seat base on it so it does NOT move...this way when you put the base back on the holes line up correctly, if you don't you will need to over size drill the mount holes in the base....I use 5/16 by 1/2 to 3/4 long hex head bolts.....seems nothing else fits.

Pablo66

Let me add....secure the channel plates with screws tightly enough to hold the plate when you had the seat base on it so it does NOT move...this way when you put the base back on the holes line up correctly, if you don't you will need to over size drill the mount holes in the base....I use 5/16 by 1/2 to 3/4 long hex head bolts.....seems nothing else fits.
great advice... I wish I had followed it when I did my install! Yes, I had to oversize the mounting holes quite a bit to get mine to fit.

highwaym35

Rivet removal for seat base upgrade

So, when converting to highbacks, all four seats are the same? Just the mounting of the drivers requires a "kit"?
I am replacing driver seat base with adjustable base and have the mounting and backer plates. It is the removal of these solid rivets on the floor that is giving me problems. Cutting and drilling is slow at best. Any other ideas?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Started out following the MWO instruction. After crawling around and fussing with straight and angle drill motors, Switch to plan "B"... Used an air hammer (rivet gun) with a sharp, slightly curved flat blade, 5/8 wide or so. Up against base of the rivet head and tap the trigger. POW head sheared off. Took about five minutes to strip out all the brackets, stiffeners and other junk. Any sheared rivets left behind, tap them out with center punch and a wack with small ball peen hammer. More fun than shooting ducks in an arcade and no fuss. Wear glasses and ear plugs. Happy hunting.

CAM

highwaym35

Rivet removal for seat base upgrade

Started out following the MWO instruction. After crawling around and fussing with straight and angle drill motors, Switch to plan "B"... Used an air hammer (rivet gun) with a sharp, slightly curved flat blade, 5/8 wide or so. Up against base of the rivet head and tap the trigger. POW head sheared off. Took about five minutes to strip out all the brackets, stiffeners and other junk. Any sheared rivets left behind, tap them out with center punch and a wack with small ball peen hammer. More fun than shooting ducks in an arcade and no fuss. Wear glasses and ear plugs. Happy hunting.

CAM
Thanks Milcommoguy, super useful info. I will go to your "plan B". Thanks

bcheval

Great advice, I installed my High Back Seat Kit 57K0290 this weekend. Yes there was a lot of rivets to deal with, but its done and looks great. Can anyone tell me how they verified the torque for the driver set base to the rail support. On my seat their is not enough clearance to get a socket on the hex nut. The only tool I could get in was an open end wrench

JetbikeAnt

Good morning All. I am selling this Kit 57K0290 with 4 seats. Driver, Commander, and both rear. All the hardware, instructions, and mounting brackets are new and sealed in the original box. I used the two seats from the Kit for a restoration. The seats that come with the Kit are in excellent shape. The have been recovered in digital camo with new cushions. Very comfortable and whoever did the work did an outstanding job. I saw the same kit with 4 new seats for over $1700. I am asking a whole lot less. Please message me if you have any interested before I list the set in our classifieds. I'm in PA. Local pickup preferred. Thanks!

Thumper580

Good morning All. I am selling this Kit 57K0290 with 4 seats. Driver, Commander, and both rear. All the hardware, instructions, and mounting brackets are new and sealed in the original box. I used the two seats from the Kit for a restoration. The seats that come with the Kit are in excellent shape. The have been recovered in digital camo with new cushions. Very comfortable and whoever did the work did an outstanding job. I saw the same kit with 4 new seats for over $1700. I am asking a whole lot less. Please message me if you have any interested before I list the set in our classifieds. I'm in PA. Local pickup preferred. Thanks!
Sent you a PM......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks