• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV original government specs for Humvee

blueleadermark

Has anyone got a copy of the original specs that the US government proposed that led to AM General submitting the HMMWV for consideration? I'm hoping to find something along the lines of "must comply with MIL-STD-1180B" of FMVSS (yes, I know MVs are exempt). Trying to add to my argument that Humvees are capable of driving safely on a public road.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This could help you. Nht88-1.29 This is the NHTSA 's "interpretation" where they tell AM General that their products were indeed meant to spend the majority of their time (60%) on public roads after AM General tried to back peddle on their design intent when the M151 started getting too much bad attention. They specifically mention the M998 Humvee...

This document would be hard to argue against and AM General has intentionally tried to keep it buried (so I've heard).

It's a bit tricky to recognize who is responding to who in the letter so It takes a couple re-reads. I think the NHTSA is replying to AM General lawyers whose original letter to the NHTSA is shown as the second half of the interpretation.

Last edited:

blueleadermark

This could help you. Nht88-1.29 This is the NHTSA 's "interpretation" where they tell AM General that their products were indeed meant to spend the majority of their time (60%) on public roads after AM General tried to back peddle on their design intent when the M151 started getting too much bad attention. They specifically mention the M998 Humvee...

This document would be hard to argue against and AM General has intentionally tried to keep it buried (so I've heard).

blueleadermark

Thanks US6x4. I've got that one and have already sent it to my government representative who as an ex-military member has taken an interest in the issue. What I'd really like to find is the original US government request for proposals from potential suppliers that led to AM General supplying the HMMWV. It would have requirements for performance and likely compliance. Honestly, AM General should never be allowed to bid on another contract since if you are to take their statement seriously they knowingly provided a non-compliant and unsafe vehicle. Hopefully some senator tells them to go pound sand.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the search starts with the first humvee contract number? Maybe there are requirements listed that the contract fulfills? I don't think the info is easy to find but it's out there somewhere.

blueleadermark

Maybe the search starts with the first humvee contract number? Maybe there are requirements listed that the contract fulfills? I don't think the info is easy to find but it's out there somewhere.
I'm sure it's a matter of public record. I just have no idea where to look. Procurement info should always be accessible somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks