• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv springs

Overboard

I have a former up armored humvee that sits higher (2 inches in the front) than a non armored hmmwv, is this a normal thing? I would assume that they would put bigger springs on the armored bc of weight.

Crapgame

The M11XX armored trucks use thicker body spacers, too. So combine the thicker body spacers with stiffer coil springs with the additional armor weight eliminated.

My M1025A2 GMV sits higher in the front than M998 A0 and A1 trucks, too.

Overboard

I have a 1097a2 and a 1045a2 the 1097 being the former up armored, I was toying with the idea of puting the slantback on the 1097a2 just for reasons that it's in better shape and street legal, however with the height difference would it make it more of a rollover risk being top heavy.

Action

turbo trucks have 1/2" body spacers at all 6 mounts.
keep in mind that lots of older trucks have saggy springs in the front.
adding 1500# of weight in an empty turbo truck will help it ride smoother.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you say I need a bigger ass end and lighter front end... so opposite of my wife? that what you're saying? and yes, I'm blessed...

Last edited:

Overboard

turbo trucks have 1/2" body spacers at all 6 mounts.
keep in mind that lots of older trucks have saggy springs in the front.
adding 1500# of weight in an empty turbo truck will help it ride smoother.
I'm sure it doesn't matter but neither truck has turbo, is there a measurement I can take to check springs?

papakb

I recently changed out the front springs on my M996A1 because of sagging. I bought the replacements from Army Surplus Warehouse up in Idaho Falls and they were the ones commonly used for snow plows. They are a bit stiffer and sit about an inch lower so they might be just what you need for your conversion. About $100 for the pair delivered!

My 998 was sagging and leaning about an inch to starboard. I installed a new set of the snow plow rated springs and it lifted the front up about two inches and leveled the list. It also leveled it front to rear. Ride is great and I run 35 and 40 psi on the tires. Hard to see in the pics.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My 998 was sagging and leaning about an inch to starboard. I installed a new set of the snow plow rated springs and it lifted the front up about two inches and leveled the list. It also leveled it front to rear. Ride is great and I run 35 and 40 psi on the tires. Hard to see in the pics.
Nice looking truck!!

Overboard

Nice truck, besides the obvious visual of sagging springs is there a measurement i can take to determine that they are good or on their way out?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, besides the obvious visual of sagging springs is there a measurement i can take to determine that they are good or on their way out?

There is no science to this. These don’t typically fail like a gear loosing a tooth.

If your rig looks and drives ok then leave them alone.

If your rig lists to one side or has a cracked spring then you can replace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks