• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv won't start

captkennyboy

sooooo i bought another M998 with a 6.5. Batteries changed and new, the truck cranks and pushes white smoke from the exhaust but will not start. i used starting fluid and got it started and ran all day and started no problem. Parked over night and now it will not start again same as before. Gov planet had to jump it to start and said it ran. so where do i start to run down the problem? I should add that the wait light comes on for the normal period of time then shuts off as expected

thanks

Last edited:

diesel dave

Start with changing the glow plugs. And DON'T use starting fluid again! Likely 2 or 3 were bad before,but they could start it in warmer weather. Now it's cold. Starting fluid more than likely finished them off.

captkennyboy

thanks checked the glow plugs and all metered out at 1.7-1.9. what is interesting is the plugs look new and well as the control box under the dash but the plug controller on the engine does not look like it has been changed. is the reading acceptable for the glow plugs????

ruSSrt

received my m998 couple of days ago and exactly the same situation. Started only after a little bit of starting fluid (i read the forum before so i was very very careful with it) and ran no problem. Started every time that day with no problem, next morning same situation.
I didnt even bother to test glow plugs because i know i'll be changing them anyway. So i already ordered a set. I also noticed that my WTS light comes on for a brief second. Is that normal or should i also start looking in to the box?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the fuel clean? Drain the tank and replace all fuel filters if you haven't. The fuel in mine probably sat for 10 years.

Once it's running, several tanks of injector cleaner treatment are recommended as well. I won't start a fight by saying which one I prefer because that's like saying my mama makes the best pie.

Bulldogger

jeffy777

received my m998 couple of days ago and exactly the same situation. Started only after a little bit of starting fluid (i read the forum before so i was very very careful with it) and ran no problem. Started every time that day with no problem, next morning same situation.
I didnt even bother to test glow plugs because i know i'll be changing them anyway. So i already ordered a set. I also noticed that my WTS light comes on for a brief second. Is that normal or should i also start looking in to the box?
There is a sticky... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?90657-LEO-FD-HMMWV-Check-List-amp-Part-Numbers

This will help get started. My understanding is the Control Box should be S3 EESS for quality (there are some others that are also ok but I have heard great things about S3 EESS)... you will want new glow plugs... you may need a grounding harness...

Don't get too over reactive to a problem post it out here. Read TM 9-2320-280-10. Familiarize yourself with the vehicle.

I am a nuub. or Newb.... Many people on this board are very helpful. I hope you get her on the road soon.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the fuel clean? Drain the tank and replace all fuel filters if you haven't. The fuel in mine probably sat for 10 years.

Once it's running, several tanks of injector cleaner treatment are recommended as well. I won't start a fight by saying which one I prefer because that's like saying my mama makes the best pie.

Bulldogger
BioDiesel is the best solvent cleaner around BUT it eats through rubber and will require exchange to plastic resistant hoses. Aside from that it cleans old injectors like no one's business. Problem is that it can be too good for its job and force you to replace fuel filters for several months with all the crap it cleans out. That happened with my LandCruiser Diesel, and now she purrs like a kitten ( a big angry loud Diesel puma cub kitten).

Best,

T

captkennyboy

Here is the update, installed a new Glow plug controller & protective control box matched set (KDS Smart System) check all the glow plugs all good. Now i do not have a wait light. The old box the wait light came on. the new parts no wait light and the truck does not start. i pulled a couple of glow plugs again and they where wet with fuel so i believe still no power to the glow plugs. I purchased the new box and controls from Erik's military

any ideas of next steps.

thank in advance for help

M1097A2NUT

Here is the update, installed a new Glow plug controller & protective control box matched set (KDS Smart System) check all the glow plugs all good. Now i do not have a wait light. The old box the wait light came on. the new parts no wait light and the truck does not start. i pulled a couple of glow plugs again and they where wet with fuel so i believe still no power to the glow plugs. I purchased the new box and controls from Erik's military

any ideas of next steps.

thank in advance for help
Did you disconnect the batteries before putting the new box in? If not then you fried the new box.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had the same problem, replaced the plugs and found a couple broke off. After a new set of plugs and a new start box cranked like a champ. Make sure when you change boxes to unhook batteries and match with temp sensor. Wait light should come on for about 10 seconds when cold and then fire up. I just had a box go bad on one, the light would only flash on for a second and engine would crank and puff smoke but no start. Swapped boxes light cycled and she fired right off.

Gear Report

This might help:
http://gear-report.com/help-hmmwv-wont-start-humvee-glow-plug-start-system-maintenance

But looking at pasts posts, I didn't see responses about adding a grounding harness. Have you done that?
How about continuity checking the glow plug wires from the control box to each glow plug?
Do you see your voltage drop when your glow plugs should be heating, even though the light doesn't come on? That would be evidence that they are receiving current. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there is an expected current draw per GP. So you should be able to ballpark how many are/aren't working based on voltage drop.
How about options to pre-heat your engine to see if it starts (safer than starting fluid)? I've heard that blowing a hair dryer down the air intake can often be enough. Else, a block heater, or blowing a space heater on low at the engine in the garage to heat the block (like how piston aircraft pre-heat engines when cold).

My understanding is that the issue with starting fluid is the combo of energy density, flash point and high compression makes it prone to pre-detonation, which can brake internal engine parts. The glow plugs may also suffer, but are a much lower priority, IMHO.

WalterMitty

I'm by no means an expert, as I am running down my own issues....but I have learned a bit. The bottom line is, the Wait To Start (WTS) light should be coming on for 8-10 seconds if the motor is cold and the outside temp is cold. As others have said, the PCB should have correct and matching Temp sensor. Also, a grounding harness (which is a sticky) may also help, since the HMMWV given its aluminum body and maybe 20-30 year old wiring might not be grounded. New glow plugs should be put in when you replace the PCB and TSU. Other items to consider. 1) Is your engine wire harness in good condition? 2) Is your alternator a 60amp unit? The PCB that Erik's sells has the following warning....Only the 60 amp alternators can power directly through the control box. Basic and A1 vehicles upgraded to 100, 200, and 400 amp alternators must have the alternator wiring harness modification in place (done when the alternator is installed) so the alternators output does not go through the control box. Vehicles factory equipped with 100, 200, and 400 amp alternators have the battery direct wiring factory installed.

ruSSrt

Hey guys..... where do i start.....
My HMMWV starts no problem. WTS light come on for about 8 seconds and starts from a first crank. Volt meter does not fluctuate, stayed in green the whole time its running. After it warms up, i shot it down and can restart it as many times as i want within first hour or so. After it been sitting for 4 hours i can not restart. WTS light comes on for fraction of the second and goes out. Truck cranks good, white diesel mix out of the pipe, no start.
6.2, fresh liquids, ground harness, new glow plugs.
GO out to the truck next day, starts no problem. same thing. Day three, starts no problem, same thing after first start.

Would it be GP temp sensor or actual control module?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any fuel coming up, disconect the line after the filter , put a clear tube to a container and crank the engine, make certain theres a good flow of fuel.
Is it new fuel ?
You could always by pass everything and run clean fuel to the injector pump and eliminate the problems as you go

ruSSrt

Is there any fuel coming up, disconect the line after the filter , put a clear tube to a container and crank the engine, make certain theres a good flow of fuel.
Is it new fuel ?
You could always by pass everything and run clean fuel to the injector pump and eliminate the problems as you go
I have ton of fuel coming out of exhaust pipe in the form of white mist. And there no doubt its fuel. SO i'm not worried there.... it has to do with PCB. I just find out that i have old box i'll have to order new S3 with TSU

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks