• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holley 885JJ Rebuild Project Progress

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the M62 home to Georgia 2 weeks ago and have been working on trying to get her running. The story is that this engine has had serious engine problems as far back as anyone on ss can remember. Last Friday me and 73M set out to see if we could get the motor to fire.

We actually had it running for 8 seconds before the engine flooded itself out. Literally flooded itself out, we removed about a pint of gas from the intake manifold with rags when we pulled the carb. Draining the oil was even more fun when the standard 4 gallons of oil turned into about 7 gallons of oil/gas mix.

So last night was the first night I was able to start pulling the carb apart for a rebuild and stayed up way to late having a good time pulling parts. The rebuild kit looks complete and tonight I hope to continue cleaning.

Here are some pictures of the carb on the workbench early last night before surgery. NO Comments allowed on the fuel regulator, it is being ripped out.

If my hands were not so filthy I should have taken a picture of the crude that came out of the carb including a mud dobber nest.

I will be updating as time and clean hands allow!

Attachments

Monty

Good luck on the rebuild, I had problems with the one on my bobbed m54 and just swapped it out for a Zenith, runs alot better. I picked mine up new from ebay for $75.00 plus shipping.

My m62 starts great but when I was using it to load some machinery onto a duece yesterday it was surging and blowing black smoke.

I'm going to follow your build because I'll either be rebuilding this one or swappingit out for another zenith.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Good luck on the rebuild, I had problems with the one on my bobbed m54 and just swapped it out for a Zenith, runs alot better. I picked mine up new from ebay for $75.00 plus shipping.

My m62 starts great but when I was using it to load some machinery onto a duece yesterday it was surging and blowing black smoke.

I'm going to follow your build because I'll either be rebuilding this one or swappingit out for another zenith.
Here is the manual
http://c1421898.r98.cf2.rackcdn.com/holley_885-jjg_manual.pdf
this covers everything, even the auto choke that some 885-JJGs had, (885-JJGC)

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holley Float Gauge

If any one has the Holley Float gauge laying around I need the measurement from the bottom of the main body cover assembly to the bottom of the float.

There are references to the 885FFG carb at 5/32" clearance from the top of float to the assembly but that is a different beast.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay good progress tonight, After a gallon of carb cleaner I can see the carb again and have clean passageways. Even figured out where all the parts go :beer:

Here is a new picture of the clean body and original picture for comparison.

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pictures for those that love pictures! The items not in the rebuild kit are as follows:

1.) Float Gauge
2.) Idle screw springs (I thought that strange)
3.) no screws/washers

Other than that the kit is complete and looks great. I will be rebuilding tonight if I can get my accelerator pump stop (ie round ball) out of the passage. Yahoooooo

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Speaking of hardware, the 6 carb mount nuts are wrong, should be self locking (not nilock) , plus I would use a flat washer under them, a standard flat washer may be to big for the space, try metric washers, most carb kits don't have the screw/washers, the idle springs,

vtdeucedriver

Hey Great thread!! Maybe I will pull mine this weekend if I got time and rebuild it with ya. I do have another Holley Spare and a Zenith if needed.

Did you find alot of crap in the bowl??? I believe the ethanol is killing mine.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I cleaned out about 1/4" when I freed up the needle valed, Swiss said when he pulled things apart besides a bunch more crap, also a dobber nest

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Day 5, quick update. I was baffled for a day on why the throttle plates where in wot position when I assembled the carb. 4 tear downs later I remembered an old post where it was explained that the carb is a reverse vacumn carb and the plates start at wot.

We are putting on at 7:00 am tommorow, good luck to us
:)

Robert the kits are widely available from Memphis, eastern and I got mine from white owl. A bit more expensive but the knowledge is priceless.

Pictures later!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Great thread!! Maybe I will pull mine this weekend if I got time and rebuild it with ya. I do have another Holley Spare and a Zenith if needed.

Did you find alot of crap in the bowl??? I believe the ethanol is killing mine.
Vt, the bowl was okay, lots of dirt really the problem was in the air passages and all the air valves. These were solid gunk, I went through a gallon of high dollar car cleaner and it is clean. I think these things would run through anything but now having tore apart I know what I have and some of it was coobled together over the years.

If you have not done it is a must do project.

And if you have questions it is fresh in the brain for now :)

vtdeucedriver

Vt, the bowl was okay, lots of dirt really the problem was in the air passages and all the air valves. These were solid gunk, I went through a gallon of high dollar car cleaner and it is clean. I think these things would run through anything but now having tore apart I know what I have and some of it was coobled together over the years.

If you have not done it is a must do project.

And if you have questions it is fresh in the brain for now :)
I strictly deal with George and Terry at white owl, Top notch. I will say I found my sets after I did some leg work on if they were the correct kits from a dealer in greece on eBay. Such a good price, I bought em all :)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: Saturday morning me an 73m819 got the carb installed. She fired up quickly but was running at WOT and had to be choked back extensively until we figured out the throttle linkage was not hooked up correctly. The carb by design is in a WOT position and the throttle plates are held by the governor spring in an open position. The throttle linkage actually is hooked up so that it pushes the throttle plates closed in a rest position of the acc pedal. Go figure, that was an interesting few minutes.

After fixing that problem we started again, she fires immediatly and idles great. When accelerating the throttle you have to close down the choke to get it to run up the RPM's. The conclusion is that we are running lean. Our field lab is a 14 gallon gas tank on the roof and no air cleaner installed. The conclusion we are going to test is the problem is low fuel pressure from the gravity feed and to much air volume. Testing to continue on Wednesday morning !

Sweet sound of a 6602 at 500 rpm!
http://youtu.be/fGUcltoCPzE

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of the main throttle body after assembly. The throttle plates are wide open. When you are assembling there are 2 bearings that are key to the throttle plate shaft. Mine were shot and here is a neat trick.

Get some 608 skateboard bearings, then tape the outside of the bearings with duct sealer tape 3 times around the bearing. These are a rubber seal bearing as I have a ton of them, but a steel or ZZ shield type bearing would be better. This is shown in the attached picture.

This will add enough thickness to the bearing to allow a nice snug fit within the throttle body. The shaft fit is good. Now you have new bearings in your throttle assembly.

Another item to complete, notice the fresh machining on the surfaces. While the carb is apart have the throttle body main flanges trued up at the machine shop to ensure a tight fit and no air leaks.

Attachments

Last edited:

m139h2otruck

Good thread. I am still looking for a kit for the Zenith carbs. Never have been able to find one. Anyone??
Thanks

Beast52

Where did you get the carb kit from? Mine is a 8865JJ and i can not find a kit any where. If you have a part number also that would be great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks