• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Honoring the Proud American Gun Truck

http://www.freedomvehicles.org/proud-american/
Proud American – Vietnam War Gun Truck Comes to Utah to honor Veterans

Orem, Utah – To honor U.S. soldiers this Memorial Day, Freedom Vehicles Association will be providing a new home in Orem Utah for the very rare and unique Vietnam War gun truck “Proud American”. This Memorial Day as the United States is remembering the people who died while serving in the country’s armed forces, Freedom Vehicles Association will be receiving the Proud American tribute gun truck. This truck left Columbus, Georgia at 10:00 am on May 24[SUP]th[/SUP] and will be arriving in Orem where it will be used by Freedom Vehicles Association to honor veterans and educate our youth about freedom and the sacrifices made by our military to maintain this nation’s freedom.
The Vietnam War Gun Truck tells a story that every young American should know and understand. The men who crewed gun trucks showed through their actions how citizens of the United States should feel about freedom and how they should treat their friends, neighbors, and even those they don’t know.
About the Proud American Tribute Gun Truck
In 2009 Larry Board owner of Columbus Towing and Recovery Inc. heard the story of the Proud American and got to know 1Lt Ralph Fuller from the crew of this gun truck. Larry was touched by the story, and recognized that gun truck crewmen needed to be remembered and honored for their effort to seek situation where they could protect their fellow soldiers. In their honor, the Proud American Tribute Truck was built later in 2009 by Larry in Columbus, Georgia and has been used for the past eight years in parades and veteran memorial events. Since its completion most of the veterans for which the truck was originally built have passed away or are too sick to come to events. In April 2017 Larry offered to donate the tribute truck to Freedom Vehicles Association of Orem Utah where it will be displayed at events throughout Utah and continue to honor all those who served in Vietnam to defend freedom.
The Proud American Gun Truck is being transported from Georgia to Freedom Vehicles headquarters in Orem, UT with sponsorship by Orem CARE and will make its first debut at the Freedom Vehicles Military Outpost July 1st through 4th in Orem, UT at SCERA Park.

What is a Gun Truck and Why
One of the most challenging aspects of war is moving equipment and supplies to where they are needed. To provide troops in Vietnam the needed 90,000 tons of supplies each month, transportation groups drove truck convoys on some of the most treacherous roads in recorded history, these roads are known as Ambush Alley. The gun truck was an infield modification where the motor pool would outfit regular cargo trucks with as much armor and fire power as they could find; the Proud American was one of these trucks.
History of Proud American
On February 20, 1971 the remaining crew of the recently destroyed Satan’s Lil’ Angel was asked to build a new security support vehicles (aka gun truck) by the commander of the 523[SUP]rd[/SUP] Transportation Company; Captian Donald Voightritter (Captain V). Within 20 days SP4 Robert Thorne (driver) and Calvin Bennet (first gunner) with help from the 523[SUP]rd[/SUP] motor pool built a new truck using the remnants of Lil’ Angle and filled out the crew by adding SP4 “Mac” McDonald (second gunner) and SP5 Nelson Allen as NCO in charge . This new truck was outfitted with a steel plate gun box and cab and was armed with an M60 along with two .50 caliber M2HB machine guns and was named The Proud American.
March 12, 1971 the Proud American went into active service providing security for a convoy leaving Vandergrift Combat Base even though previous convoys that day had received fire. The crew of Proud American knew that they were responsible for protecting the convoy and that they would be taking live fire on this trip. On board Proud American were the crew, the convoy commander 1Lt James Baird, Captain V and several men from the 523[SUP]rd[/SUP].
Shortly after leaving Vandergrift FSB Proud American was the first vehicle to be targeted by an ambush. A B-40 rocket propelled grenade hit the truck between the gun box and driver side door mortally wounding Thorne the driver, but not before he drove the truck into an embankment saving the lives of everyone else on the truck. Baird who was on the radio at the time of the attack was badly injured eventually losing his arm, and McDonald received wounds to his face. Callahan got Baird on a stretcher and 1Lt Ralph Fuller from the Daughter of Darkness gun truck called in a Medivac, using his gun truck to transport Baird to a better location, Baird was air lifted back to Vandergrift.
After the battle SP4 Robert W. Thorne was removed from the truck and was taken to Vandergrift on the gun truck Black Widow. Thorne was from Denver, Colorado and will always be 20 years old.
Freedom Vehicles Association will continue to tell the story of Robert Thorne and all who served defending freedom in Vietnam and all other 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century conflicts.
Extra Links
Freedom Vehicles Mission Statement – http://www.freedomvehicles.org/about-us/
Freedom Vehicles Goals – http://www.freedomvehicles.org/wp-c...History-Military-Adventure-Park-2-23-2017.pdf
Sponsors – http://www.freedomvehicles.org/sponsors/
How you can Help – http://www.freedomvehicles.org/volunteer/

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I've had some great times with that truck. I first saw it at the Infantry Museum at Fort Benning on display with the "Black Widow" GunTruck while I was there for a change of command ceremony. I inquired around on here and found the previous owner. Made contact and I drove it from Columbus, Ga. to Durhamtown Off Road Park in October of 2010 for my first experience of a Ga Rally. If you look closely at the bottom of the passenger side of the front bumper, you might notice some white paint. I brushed the fence behind a fuel station, tried to scrape it off with my fingernails to no avail. Round 2 driving the truck resulted in a crease in the hood. In 2011 on the way to Durhamtown, I was tasked with driving Proud American. The truck had recently been worked on and the generator had been replaced. Instead of doing my usual PMCS before operating, the mechanics told me it was ready to go and no need to check anything. The hood latches were not secure and while traveling North on I-185, the hood caught wind and slammed back into the windshield frame. I narrowly shoved my head outside the cut out in the door armor and eased onto the side of the road without further incident. It was a rookie mistake and somehow Papabear didn't get too angry about it. He still picks on me about it during cookouts but I earned every bit of that.

I got to drive the truck before I knew all of the history surrounding it. I was younger at the time, only 27 when I first drove it. 2 time OIF Veteran and always polite and respectful. That was my ticket to be part of the group. I was honored to meet two of the original crew members and they "Grandfathered" in the damage that I caused to the truck as "Battle Damage". I'll have to travel to Utah to come see it someday. I'm thankful that the truck found a good home and look forward to more pictures of it. I'll share some of mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have traveled many a mile to see this truck on display. i will always remember it and the great guys with larry that built it for all of us to see and hear the story of those that fought on trucks like the proud American

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wife and I too have traveled a fair distance to honor the men and machine which is "Proud American" That adventure continues to bring joy and friendship into my life to this day. I hope and pray she finds an excellent new home! (must be the darn dust in the air AGAIN!, geeeze) "Change, it is the only constant."

THANK YOU P.B. for paying it forward!! An excellent example of what an individual CAN BE!

Thank you all to the comments made.
The Proud American arrived today and was unloaded and drove home well.
We are looking forward to preparing her for her next big event on the Fourth of July in Orem, UT.
20170527_084837.jpg20170527_111433.jpg20170527_111448.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sorry we didn't get the brakes working. We got ambushed at work and barely had time to show the transport driver how to start/shut her down.:roll:

The front driveshaft and bolts should be in the gunbox but I would just leave it out unless you think you will need it.

I hope she will be well cared for in her new home.

Don't forget, the Guntruck Gathering is in California this year and as far as I know, none of the trucks over this way plan on going....just a thought.:beer:

Last edited:
Sorry we didn't get the brakes working.
We replaced the Brake master cylinder today. When we got it home, after using no brakes, we had one of our mechanic friends who is also on this site, red, come and diagnose with us that the master cylinder was dead. He happened to have one because of the air brake conversion he is doing on his truck. He went and picked it up and now the Proud American has some awesome working breaks.

sandcobra164

Red, Wade,
Another thing the Mack is preferential too, clean diesel. We ran it on a blend that the deuces loved but the Mack engine in Proud American did not like it. It ran better after a long drive and the sun heating the fuel tank. That trip that we tried that on happened a few years ago. I'm certain it has fresh diesel fuel in it as delivered.

Last edited:

zout

We know that if it's not well taken care of the Georgia Mafia boys including Vinny will be headed westerly bound.....it was an honor to be within driving range to ride on many Veterans Day Parades....MOH Ceremonies plus other small events Papabear represented it at.

Watched the fellas load Proud up down here and sad to see it go so give it an outstanding home out there...cause the Ga Mafia boys are always packed and ready.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We replaced the Brake master cylinder today. When we got it home, after using no brakes, we had one of our mechanic friends who is also on this site, red, come and diagnose with us that the master cylinder was dead. He happened to have one because of the air brake conversion he is doing on his truck. He went and picked it up and now the Proud American has some awesome working breaks.
Dang...that's a shocker!! We've had to bleed the brakes a few times after she sat for long periods of time but I never even suspected the master cylinder being bad.

BTW, if you are used to multifuels you will notice that Mack engine has much better torque/performance and power. She is a very good truck and I already miss her.

I walked over to the truck shop the day after she left and was shocked when I saw "her place" empty.:sad:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was fortunate enough to drive Proud from Columbus to the 2013 GA Rally and back. It was a real honor and I will remember every part of that week. I will always be grateful to Papabear for the opportunity. Difficult to describe the emotions.

:beer:

Dang...that's a shocker!! We've had to bleed the brakes a few times after she sat for long periods of time but I never even suspected the master cylinder being bad.
Ya, the way we diagnosed it was when you take the cap off the Master Cylinder and press the brake peddle, little bubbles should form, and there were none, so we took it off and checked it again, and then determined it needed rebuild or replacement, but since we didn't have the time to wait for a rebuild kit, we replaced it.
So far we like this mack engine compared to the multifuel, it is quieter and does have a lot of power.

Orem City Memorial Day Program 2017. First event with the Proud American in Utah was awesome.
The Gun Truck was a huge hit, the fire department thought it was awesome, and the kids loved it.
20170529_104905.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
She looks lonely. No other MVs for her to hang out with? Thanks for showing her.:beer:

P.S....The local VFW called me Saturday and asked if I would bring her up and display for Memorial Day and I had to break the news to them. They were shocked but agreed with my decision.

AMGeneral

The Mack was and still is the pinnacle of M39 series stock engines in my opinion, That's why I had several of them over times past.

A word of advice, run straight 30 weight diesel engine oil with a goodly amount of Zinc additive, plus straight diesel in the tank with your choice of lube additive and that ENDT will still be singing it's song long after most Multifuels have given up the ghost.

A warning though, that is not a high torque rise engine like the later Maxidynes, it likes to run between 1500 and 2100 rpm.

I do hate to see the Proud head west, but It is in good hands.

P.S. The Proud was clocked at 62 mph once at an event I was told, If I am not mistaken that was flat towing another 5 ton!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The Mack was and still is the pinnacle of M39 series stock engines in my opinion, That's why I had several of them over times past.

A word of advice, run straight 30 weight diesel engine oil with a goodly amount of Zinc additive, plus straight diesel in the tank with your choice of lube additive and that ENDT will still be singing it's song long after most Multifuels have given up the ghost.

A warning though, that is not a high torque rise engine like the later Maxidynes, it likes to run between 1500 and 2100 rpm.

I do hate to see the Proud head west, but It is in good hands.

P.S. The Proud was clocked at 62 mph once at an event I was told, If I am not mistaken that was flat towing another 5 ton!

No Brandon, we clocked her at 62 when we went to the Guntruck Gathering in PA. We were being followed by two "chase cars" and one of my guys had a GPS. When I saw her reach 62 I called the chase car and verified it.....then I tapped Tony's shoulder and told him to back off to 55. Never pushed her that hard again and no, we had already dropped off the other 5ton.

Also...the thrill of riding down the Interstate standing forward in the gunbox quickly fades after you get up to about 40mph...LOL

Now....for the "multimix" mentioned above...we did that ONCE trying to be cheap on one of her trips to the Georgia Rally. She didn't like it and she let us know!! She really didn't even want to keep up with the deuces that trip. Nothing but clean, straight, at the pump #2 diesel and a little "Lucas additive" has been burned since.

I honestly didn't think I would feel THIS bad letting her go to a new home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks