• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood Handle Installed

Gypsyman

While reading old threads I ran across a post on hood handles. Having just pinched my fingers for the umpteenth time I reached out to gringletaube to see if he had any of his improved version left. A few messages later I had one headed this way from Uruguay. Once it arrived I couldn't wait to get it on the truck. Pretty sure that it took longer to get my tools out than it did to do the actual installation.

Honestly, I can't believe that the trucks didn't come with these from the factory. What a great addition to the functionality. No more fighting the first couple of inches of hood opening.

A million thanks go out to gringletaube for sending me the sample part. =)

IMG_7657.JPG IMG_7656.JPG

ToddJK

I've been so happy with this addition that I went ahead and made some extras. I'll throw a listing in the classifieds for them if anyone would like one.
Have you looked into those strut kits that will help lift the hood and hold it up? I don't remember who it that was making them but they aren't making them anymore unless I'm unaware of it. I think that would be a handy piece of kit on any deuce or five ton.

Gypsyman

Have you looked into those strut kits that will help lift the hood and hold it up? I don't remember who it that was making them but they aren't making them anymore unless I'm unaware of it. I think that would be a handy piece of kit on any deuce or five ton.
I've seen the thread on those and they are a slick idea. For me, opening the hood is no big deal. It's just that first couple of inches to get the hood latch released. Since I seem to be in the engine bay constantly just having an actual grab point made opening the hood 95% less hassle and much easier on my fingers.

I'm also considering a simple hood rod like they have on the early Jeep Wranglers. That would allow a partial hood opening for quick fluid checks without getting all the way up on the fender for a fully open hood. Just a thought...

ToddJK

I've seen the thread on those and they are a slick idea. For me, opening the hood is no big deal. It's just that first couple of inches to get the hood latch released. Since I seem to be in the engine bay constantly just having an actual grab point made opening the hood 95% less hassle and much easier on my fingers.

I'm also considering a simple hood rod like they have on the early Jeep Wranglers. That would allow a partial hood opening for quick fluid checks without getting all the way up on the fender for a fully open hood. Just a thought...
Hood rod...I didn't think of that, but that would be nice too. At least if work needs to be done, no parts to remove, but easy to keep open if just doing simple fluid checks and some visual pm.

Would you make one to go on the inside of the hood, or the outside?

Gypsyman

I was thinking it could be mounted to one side like the jeeps. It's just a matter of having a long enough rod to get enough lift to be useable. No idea if an appropriate rod could be fitted side to side but I feel that it's a viable idea. Might be nice for display at shows too. For all I know a factory Jeep hood rod could be utilized although I feel it would be too short based on our hood length.

I'll look at it more closely tomorrow to see if it's even realistic. Could be an interesting little project.

ToddJK

I was thinking it could be mounted to one side like the jeeps. It's just a matter of having a long enough rod to get enough lift to be useable. No idea if an appropriate rod could be fitted side to side but I feel that it's a viable idea. Might be nice for display at shows too. For all I know a factory Jeep hood rod could be utilized although I feel it would be too short based on our hood length.

I'll look at it more closely tomorrow to see if it's even realistic. Could be an interesting little project.
I think it would be. I know I'd buy one! Lol

Gypsyman

I looked at it this morning. The radiator neck and overflow lines are in the way for a standard rod to be stowed under the hood so it would be a challenge. Another option would be a standalone rod but it would have to be stored somewhere.

ToddJK

I looked at it this morning. The radiator neck and overflow lines are in the way for a standard rod to be stowed under the hood so it would be a challenge. Another option would be a standalone rod but it would have to be stored somewhere.
I saw that too. I was thinking of a two piece rod that goes together like tent poles, but using steel. Having a fork end on it or something similar, to fit into a hole on a bracket that can be bolted on under the hood, and the rod can rest on the grill guard or a bracket installed onto it, them there's no way it would slip or come out. Something like this would also allow you to attach the rod to the hood, and push the hood up from ground level without getting on the truck. With something like that, it can be stored on the front end under some clips or on some little brackets using pins with the wire clips similar to how the shackle pins are secured on the bumper. I'm just trying to figure out a good way to make it so it can fit together and be secure, but also a good size rod that can hold the weight with no issues, something at least 1/2" or larger. Just food for thought 🤔

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wasn't a lot of effort to install. The brackets are nifty; the passenger side uses the air filter housing bolts in the firewall and one has to drill four holes into the top of the hood to attach the other end of the gas struts. I can take pics if it helps somebody out. I have had it for a few years; enough to forget where I bought the kit from.

ToddJK

It wasn't a lot of effort to install. The brackets are nifty; the passenger side uses the air filter housing bolts in the firewall and one has to drill four holes into the top of the hood to attach the other end of the gas struts. I can take pics if it helps somebody out. I have had it for a few years; enough to forget where I bought the kit from.
May not be a bad idea to take some pictures. I'll have to research that thread again, to find out what length the struts are and what kind they used since there's so many variable models

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May not be a bad idea to take some pictures. I'll have to research that thread again, to find out what length the struts are and what kind they used since there's so many variable models
Here are some pics of the kit installed, but no dimensions, though.

This is the original thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/tired-of-fighting-the-hood.122862/
The OP has vanished over 4 years ago and according to this post it sounds like his project never really crossed the finish line...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks