• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood Hinge Question

Bucolic

I pulled the hood off my 151 and started the clean-up/restoration. Got a simple question for someone who's pulled their hood off. I know the 1/4-20 bolts on the front/hood side of the hinges are a bolt, washer & nut. How about the ones on the windshield side. Are the nuts tack welded onto the body or are these a bolt, washer and nut as well. (I haven't looked up under the instrument panel to check yet, just thought I'd ask here.) :mrgreen:

bonedoc

I'm not sure about a 151, but on my M35A2 the nuts were not tack welded and you have to squeeze your hand up into the cowl to get them. The passenger side was easy once the glove box was removed. The driver's side was the pain in the A$%!!

Whiterabbit

My '72 A2 had nuts and washers but I've heard early models used alot of the caged nuts under there. Either way you will want to grab 'em to keep from destroying the cages trying to get those rusty bolts out. Pull the gauge panel to get to them easier.
Hope this helps!

renodogs

Yeah, I was figuring I'd have to pull the instrument panel. That's ok anyhow, it needs to be repainted too.
Thanks for the info.
You may want to replace them with zinc plated bolts and nylon (insert) lock nuts. Bolts and nuts are cheap, rusty ones are a PITA and a future speed bump for maintenance. Every time I pull a part off the Deuce, it gets new bolts with a light coating of 'Never seize' (if rusty, heads are worn, etc). It's just a habit of mine since the military. I can't tell you how much money AND time is saved by doing this. Look to your past experiences wherein you've struggled with a stubborn bolt only have it strip and then you're in there with a drill and an easy out. That SUCKS.

Bucolic

Well, thanks to hambone's pictures, I now know for certain that all six hinge bolts are bolt, washers and nuts. And I am planning on replacing any and all nuts, bolts and washers I remove with stainless. Costs a bit more but definitely worth it!

majorhitt

My 151 is upside down in the driveway, waiting for brake lines. I did the under body kit, replaced all shocks and all bushings. The bolts , nuts , and washers are all being replaced. I have the hood off and right now all the hardware is still in the holes on the hinges. If I recall it's all 1/4-20 X 3/4 or 1". six of each per side. They'll be replaced when I get to that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks