• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hookin up 806a: Remove 52-12 plug?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Seems I am on a roll in generator questions and ideas. So my new mep806a is running. Looking at the lugs and power output plug (a beefy 52-12), it seems economical and sensible to remove that 52-12 completely as a receptacle is 500.00 alone plus making up a cable. Has anyone simply removed it and used conduit from where the plug was out to the ATS? Looking for thoughts on this route.

Attachments

Scoobyshep

Seems I am on a roll in generator questions and ideas. So my new mep806a is running. Looking at the lugs and power output plug (a beefy 52-12), it seems economical and sensible to remove that 52-12 completely as a receptacle is 500.00 alone plus making up a cable. Has anyone simply removed it and used conduit from where the plug was out to the ATS? Looking for thoughts on this route.
That is a pin and sleeve. It looks like it might have been added. (My hands on with the 80x series is limited) I have seen these hard wired, pin and sleeve, camlock, etc. as long as the connecting means is rated for the voltage and current its fine

MrShawn305

You don't have the standard lugs behind the door? L0, L1, L2, L3? Just use those. You can use much larger cable for better connections and it's designed for more long term use. You're not using your gen as a mobile unit, so just hook it up on the lugs and call it a day.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yep, the biggest lugs I have ever seen on a generator In fact. But the only egress I could use is where that plug is, it would have to be removed (easy). For keeping things safe, and solid would I just find the right diameter pvc to fit the hole left behind?

MrShawn305

Yep, the biggest lugs I have ever seen on a generator In fact. But the only egress I could use is where that plug is, it would have to be removed (easy). For keeping things safe, and solid would I just find the right diameter pvc to fit the hole left behind?
Just pull that outlet and replace it with a boot. They just come with a boot made of some sort of tarp like material with a drawstring. I'll get a pic of my 805B in the morning so you can see if you like.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
The boot you speak of:
1.) Its the same style as my 802/803 have?
2.) Coming out of this into a conduit... whats the proper way so if an inspector has a look he won't get out his citation booklet?

Guyfang

Staff member
The boot you speak of:
2.) Coming out of this into a conduit... whats the proper way so if an inspector has a look he won't get out his citation booklet?
Yes, same way a 802/803A is. Just loosen the output terminals and then take the fasteners out. Then pull out the plug. The gen sets did not come with the plugs installed. That happened somewhere in the set past glory days. Open the -24P and look at what is supposed to go in that hole.

dav5

The boot you speak of:
If the boot is similar to the one on an 803A I found fabricating an aluminum plate with the proper size hole for a conduit connector was a way more secure connection than using the boot. I was always concerned rodents would chew through the boot fabric.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
My commercial electrician friend recommended a 12x13x6 weather proof box, bolted in place with 2" conduit coming out. Seems reasonable and sturdy also.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Ok, so flex in 2", are there any economical options? I keep finding 100ft rolls of 2" liquid-tight for 600.00. I only need a foot or 2.