• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooking tow bar between trucks "alone"

coachgeo

here is a very poor video with a few general hints.... some ideas on how maybe to keep the tow bar on the truck along with ideas on how to go about it alone. Im sure I made stupid mistakes so fire away so others can learn from my idiocy.

PS- yes the tow bar should be fully compressed... NOT like shown in video.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed an M1031 behind my M934, and had to unhook and hook, usually multiple times daily, by myself.

I found a flat piece of parking lot or road, unhooked the pintle, then used a ratchet strap against the brush guard to tension it. Then backed the M1031 out, which popped the lunette off the pintle. I then pushed the tow bar up and locked it into place against the brush guard with a ratchet strap. Install was reverse, where I let the tow bar out, held at almost a 90* angle with the ratchet strap, and essentially drove it into the pintle hook.

Obviously, a little different with larger vehicles, and of course, both vehicles operational, but it's doable.

1631644173778.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

I towed an M1031 behind my M934, and had to unhook and hook, usually multiple times daily, by myself.

I found a flat piece of parking lot or road, unhooked the pintle, then used a ratchet strap against the brush guard to tension it. Then backed the M1031 out, which popped the lunette off the pintle. I then pushed the tow bar up and locked it into place against the brush guard with a ratchet strap. Install was reverse, where I let the tow bar out, held at almost a 90* angle with the ratchet strap, and essentially drove it into the pintle hook.

Obviously, a little different with larger vehicles, and of course, both vehicles operational, but it's doable.

View attachment 845159
planning to tow my jeep behind LMTV so likely put my tow bar on back of truck or on Jeep... ?? Likely on Truck since goal of jeep is daily driver until I change to mobile living in ten or so years. Kill two birds with one stone Tow Bar

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
planning to tow my jeep behind LMTV so likely put my tow bar on back of truck or on Jeep... ?? Likely on Truck since goal of jeep is daily driver until I change to mobile living in ten or so years. Kill two birds with one stone Tow Bar
Well, a jeep generally doesn't need the 300# medium tow bar. A smaller lighter tow bar that you could permanently attach to the jeep - that folds up might be nice. If the bar was a reasonable weight, you might be able to disconnect at both ends and store it in the truck. Either way could work for sure...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do NOT get the aluminum towbars from IBISTek for the HMMWVs... They were removed from inventory for a reason. LOTS of failures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks