• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooking up my 803a step 1-help

So I have a 803a that I’m doing all my install work. I have worked as an electrician helper in a refinery and have a good understanding of what I need to do. I purchased Generac all in one wire 100’. I have conduit run from one building to another underground and then to my panel. I purchased a Generac ATS, 4 load shed modules, Klopp’s remote start board with relays to swing the ATS. Also have 60amp pin and sleeve connector so I can remove generator from house location since it is on 5k casters. Now here’s the problem. My Panel is a 200amp main with my meter directly to my line side of my 200a main. In order to re wire I need to pull my fancy RF meter. This will alert the power company and force me to permit the job and take me completely out the picture and require me paying and electrician. So here is the long road around this. This is where I need input please. Wire 803a to pin and sleeve and then to new wire running to panel. Back feed my panel with a 60a breaker and install interlocking device. Then when power is lost this gives me a covert time to pull my meter with no alerts and install a 200a main disconnect between my meter and my panel. I can then reinstall meter and now have a safe way to kill power with out pulling the meter. I can then at a later date shut off the line power at my new disconnect and install my ATS and load shedding modules. It’s a long road but I think this is the only way. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INPUT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you talked to your utility? They may be willing to work with you. I get power from Blue Ridge Mountain EMC in North Georgia. I purchased a 400-amp manual transfer switch on Ebay for a really cheap price - $180.00. I ran conduit underground from my generator to the transfer switch. I used a 100 amp pin and sleeve connector for the MEP003A generator that I also found on Ebay. I wired all of that up myself before contacting the EMC. I have my generator powering the entire house and barn - I chose not to select individual circuits to power. The MEP003A is large enough to power the entire house without difficulty even though it is a large house. I then called the EMC and they came out to the house in the morning and cut the power to the house for one day. I then removed the meter and wired everything up myself and reinstalled the meter. EMC was called back to turn the power back on after they closely looked at my work, which they approved without difficulty. They fastened new tamper-proof seals on the meter. I had zero difficulty doing this and I did not request any permits for the work. I frequently have power outages and my setup has been working great going on 12 years now. One outage was around one week continuous. I run the generator 24/7 when the utility power is down. My MEP003A trailer-mounted generator has been one of the best investments I've ever made at $1500.00. I wanted a manual transfer switch because it is simple and virtually nothing to fail in my setup.

Jeepadict

If it was me, I'd draw up a simple schematic and narrative on paper and submit it for a permit. You don't have to have a certified electrician do the work, meeting code requirements is all the inspector cares about. There's a reason some things require I and some don't...despite the extra ass-pain. It sounds like you have a solid grasp on what needs to be done, so why would you hesitate to have it inspected? Electrical inspections are critical to safety and fire prevention...hence why NFPA writes the NEC. Don't cut corners when it comes to big power...your family's life depends on your work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
City of Kenner:

ELECTRICAL LICENSE: cost new $200.00, valid for 1 year, renewal cost $75.00 Delinquent fee $30.00 Revival fee $75.00(must have current Jefferson Parish License or State Electrical License).

Do you have any electrician buddies that can pull the permit for you and let you do the work? I am fortunate like that . . .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks