• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

House wiring questions

I just purchased a 97 mep -803a. I will be hard wiring it to a ATS for my 200a main panel. The generator will need 100 feet of cable to the ATS. These are my questions. Do I need a breaker at the generator location upstream of the ATS? If so what amp rating? What size wire do I need to run for this 100’ length to power the entire house 200a panel? And is there anything else I’m missing.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobyshep

I just purchased a 97 mep -803a. I will be hard wiring it to a ATS for my 200a main panel. The generator will need 100 feet of cable to the ATS. These are my questions. Do I need a breaker at the generator location upstream of the ATS? If so what amp rating? What size wire do I need to run for this 100’ length to power the entire house 200a panel? And is there anything else I’m missing.
Thanks

The breaker on the generator protects the head and the wire going to the load (assuming the wire is large enough) I have not had the opportunity to play with an 803 as of yet, size the wire for the rated output (if its 55 amp 6AWG will be sufficient) there is no real down side to going larger on the wire.

You need to be mindful of the load, having a smaller than your service generator creates problems with lack of available power (too many big things start at once).

And now my favorite part, grounding and bonding. Depending on how your ATS is configured, the grounding of the generator has to change.

Short answers
Breaker no, not needed
Wire size 41 amps (10000w 240v) plus overhead 6AWG.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

LEOK

Lots of question, what kind of ATS, or is a manual transfer switch
Buy 100amp Alum. direct burial 4 wire service entrance cable for trailers for the run to ATS.
If your being inspected via permit at that distance they may require breaker.
Need more info on ATS
Good time to upgrade house grounding.

Zed254

There's a good amount of info on this subject on the SS site. Here are a few threads worth reading......

Search on particulars and it's probably been discussed.

Lots of question, what kind of ATS, or is a manual transfer switch
Buy 100amp Alum. direct burial 4 wire service entrance cable for trailers for the run to ATS.
If your being inspected via permit at that distance they may require breaker.
Need more info on ATS
Good time to upgrade house grounding.
I want to go with an ATS and get the control module for auto start. What 200a ATS is good on the market? What house upgrades to house grounding are you taking about?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something to consider is it is a code violation to use an ATS with a generator not able to fully supply the connect load. Using a 200a ATS on a generator that makes 50a won't fly.

You'll want to review section 702.4 of the NEC.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Voltage drop doesnt really matter because the generator can be boosted

It does matter because voltage drop is relative to the current being drawn. You can boost it up when you are under load but when the load is removed the voltage will rise. Its best to size the wire so at max load you drop no more than 5% of the unloaded voltage.

Something to consider is it is a code violation to use an ATS with a generator not able to fully supply the connect load. Using a 200a ATS on a generator that makes 50a won't fly.

You'll want to review section 702.4 of the NEC.
I had a generac 22kw specked for my house and they were using a 200amp ATS and everything I read is ATS must match panel main amp. I even had the code enforcement look at specs and install and they said it was good.

Scoobyshep

It does matter because voltage drop is relative to the current being drawn. You can boost it up when you are under load but when the load is removed the voltage will rise. Its best to size the wire so at max load you drop no more than 5% of the unloaded voltage.
Consult a qualified electrician.

Scoobyshep

I had a generac 22kw specked for my house and they were using a 200amp ATS and everything I read is ATS must match panel main amp. I even had the code enforcement look at specs and install and they said it was good.

It needs to be large enough for the highest load applied. If your service is 200 amp then it needs to be atleast a 200 amp ats

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Was the generator installed at the time of inspection? If it was and there is no automatic load shedding then it should not have passed. Obviously things like this slip by but don't count on it.

Was the generator installed at the time of inspection? If it was and there is no automatic load shedding then it should not have passed. Obviously things like this slip by but don't count on it.
Not getting a permit. It’s a portable generator. This genset will run my entire house with soft starts on my 3 AC units.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not getting a permit is one way to make sure it will pass inspection. :D

Just as a FYI for others reading the thread, saying its a portable generator doesn't get you out of the violation. If you have a MTS then its assumed you are also doing manual load management so its not an issue. If its an ATS the assumption is the generator could be subjected to the full connected load. Automatically connecting a source to a load its not able to handle is the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks