• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How About A V8?

Why take something so simple and make it overly complex with a Duramax? For conversion sake take a B series Cummins with a P7100 pump and slap on bigger tires to get the Cummins to the sweet spot RPM range on the highway. The B series will run without batteries unlike a common rail diesel. Duramax's don't sound too tuff with a straight pipe and you have to have a straight pipe on an M35....

nhdiesel

That was going to be my suggestion. The B-series is as simple as it gets, you can even use a cable to operate the fuel shutoff just like a multifuel if you want. For a Duramax, plan on lots of electronics, including trying to install a vehicle speed sensor somewhere. You also cut the reliability down to less than what you have with a multifuel (just personal opinion here, based on everyone I know with a Duramax having spent time in the shop). They do make good power, and being able to just plug in a programmer would be nice. But also plan on terrible fuel mileage. When we went to N.J. for the recovery of my 2nd Deuce, my father's Duramax used more fuel in 800 miles round trip (400 miles empty, just pulling the 10-ton lowbed, and 400 miles with the Deuce) than I used driving my other one home 1100 miles.

Using a 12-valve Cummins and a 3k rpm governor spring it will run happily even with 9.00 tires. Anything larger will just make it even better. I wish there was a transmission I could suggest to swap in to get a better overdrive, but I don't think you will end up with much better than the 3053a. The Cummins will give much better fuel mileage. I know, a Deuce isn't exactly an economy vehicle, but if you are going to transplant anyway, might as well think about using less fuel while you are at it.

Jim

kc5mzd

Nhdiesel, where did you get your avatar deuce. It looks exactly like the one in my driveway. I had to check - its still there.

rebel_raider

A Duramax would be something I would do, if I had a ton of money and spare deuce laying around. I wouldn't put a Cummins in a deuce simply because 90-99% of repowers are, and I don't want it to be like all the other ones.

dittle

A Duramax would be something I would do, if I had a ton of money and spare deuce laying around. I wouldn't put a Cummins in a deuce simply because 90-99% of repowers are, and I don't want it to be like all the other ones.

There's a reason everyone else uses the Cummins for the repower. The Duramax doesn't hold up the way the Cummins does and you'll have a hard time convincing people otherwise IMHO. Plus the Duramax is an Isuzu engine.......thats just wrong putting a rice burner in a Deuce :twisted:

rebel_raider

I not saying there's anything wrong with a Cummins. I know they are a good engine. I just want to be different. Also, at least in my neck of the woods, I haven't heard anything bad about a Duramax. Also, having owned one previously, I can say that they are one heck of a motor.

stumps

I not saying there's anything wrong with a Cummins. I know they are a good engine. I just want to be different. Also, at least in my neck of the woods, I haven't heard anything bad about a Duramax. Also, having owned one previously, I can say that they are one heck of a motor.
I know! I know! You could be different by putting a Continental/Hercules/White MF engine in your deuce! Yeah! That's the ticket! ;-)

My first choice would be putting an LDT MF back in the deuce. My second choice would be an MF LDS engine, my third would be to put an Oliver/White tractor engine in place of the MF, and my fourth might be a Cummins 6 cylinder.

-Chuck

Goose2448

My aunt's GMC K2500 With a Duramax has had minor problems. All EPA regulated stuff. I would not put any of that on there. I hate wrining, but could do it. Plus with a HyperPack will add tons of power. You can run Kanola oil and make tons of power. Two Stacks and turbo's. As long as it is loud, I don't care. Plus IT'S ONE OF A KIND.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
#1 reason not to do it: 3053 is a 300 ft lb transmission, it's tough but is already being stressed. as for the overdrive issue, just hold your breath a little longer, it's still on the way.

i would use a 9 litre international from the mid 80's

tom

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks