• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you preserve your M101/103/105 covers?

3dAngus

As many of us know, the tops of these trailer covers get crusty after only a few years, due to UV and water sitting on the top over prolonged periods of time.

I have pulled a trailer cover, gently across the ground, and threads tear off the panels and I find myself with a useless cover. The UV destroys the threads according to Gimpy at a Ga. Rally.

I look at fine looking mounted covers on trailers, just to find out later the top is crusty, hard, no longer flexible, and turning white from the loss of the vinyl coating. They will crack at that point if pulled to hard or stepped on. This is not a summer/winter thing making it hard and crusty in winter. It is deterioration.

I just recovered another M105 with a cover that is starting to crust up top. I removed and coated the cover with two coats of purple power, letting it soak in overnight, then I will brush off and it will clean up real well. But what to do to preserve it after that? I can tell you that just by applying the purple power and letting it soak in after the first hour, it is not as crusty and a bit more flexible. Not sure if that will be the case tomorrow when I try to brush it in with another coat of soap, but I will let you know tomorrow.

Will a coat of protectorate of some kind help make it more flexible? What do you do to protect your used covers?

Attached below, my newest cover soaking in purple power soap. It no longer looks white on top, but that is because it is wet.

Attachments

Scarecrow1

The key to saving these tops is like anything else and it starts with just what your doing . UV will break down any and all tops tires and anything else you put out side. There are a number of products to use to help block the suns rays but, when I had a 101a1 I used Armour all and then made sure to throw a cheap tarp over it to take the full load of the elements . Really to use the tarps with no protection is why the Gov has many many stock piles of parts to replace the old ones with .....

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only way to save them is to keep them out of the sun. That either means a cheap tarp replaced annually, or a covered building to store them in. Anything else is just whistling in the dark.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only way to save them is to keep them out of the sun. That either means a cheap tarp replaced annually, or a covered building to store them in. Anything else is just whistling in the dark.

Agreed. I keep mine covered with tarps.

3dAngus

I wish there was some way to compare these UV protectorants to something like Armour All, to know the difference, and to know the value of one compared to another. Just before I read this last post by you Swiss, I ordered a 64oz. bottle of armour all original.
I have cleaned and brushed off the cover completely now and am ready to apply something? once it is dried. I have so many of these covers on all my trailers used for storage, and would love to protect this investment. With the covers being worth $150-250 each depending on condition, I have a couple thousand in covers in two yards and they need some kind of protection, but I don't know what works and what does not.
I might try the 303 as well. Additional opinions are solicited.

I have wondered how a liquid wax applied might do.
edit: Have ordered a gallon of armour all, and now a gallon of 303. Still willing to try any new ideas. Heck, I might even try repainting the top of a whitened out tarp.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dell, looks like you have the making of an MVM article on your hands. Write down what the issue is(trailer covers rotting) and then write down your findings on the different products and how you tested them. If they "buy" your article, you get paid for your research and notes. Its a win - win for everyone.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime I need info on how to protect something in the sun I talk to my marine detailing friend in Florida. I'll find out.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish there was some way to compare these UV protectorants to something like Armour All, to know the difference, and to know the value of one compared to another. Just before I read this last post by you Swiss, I ordered a 64oz. bottle of armour all original.
I have cleaned and brushed off the cover completely now and am ready to apply something? once it is dried. I have so many of these covers on all my trailers used for storage, and would love to protect this investment. With the covers being worth $150-250 each depending on condition, I have a couple thousand in covers in two yards and they need some kind of protection, but I don't know what works and what does not.
I might try the 303 as well. Additional opinions are solicited.

I have wondered how a liquid wax applied might do.
edit: Have ordered a gallon of armour all, and now a gallon of 303. Still willing to try any new ideas. Heck, I might even try repainting the top of a whitened out tarp.
Dell use a little of both and you will be dumping the Armour All down the drain. Please report back!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got the answer from my friend in FL. Use the 303. I told him what kind of material and he said that was what to use. He has been doing marine detailing for about 17 years now and he is very picky.

aheilmann68

Following, looked in to 303 aerospace and may get some. Amazon.com has a great price on 5 gallons of it if it does turn out to work. I'm interested as all of my cargo covers deuce and 5 ton as well as soft tops are staring or are past saving in terms of cracking and getting stiff

DAP

303 Protectant is the best of the best. That is all I use. Armour-All can actually be destructive to some stuff.

3dAngus

I have never used it, but before I purchased a gallon of it yesterday, my research on it says, "Yes".

and yes Aheilman, the 5 gallon was $200 shipped on the big auction site and a great price. I like to buy things that way but am starting out with a gallon at $50 shipped free. After going through 3 plastic spray bottles breaking on me yesterday in that horrible cold, I decided to buy three highly priced but professional spray bottles made by Kwazar Pro. They were about $50 shipped for the three.

Last edited:

DAP

Yes but do not use it on the seat of your "Crotch Rocket" (road racing motorcycle) because if you hit the brakes you will slide and be wearing the handle bars - LOL. Use it any place you want to protect from the sun. It does not make the surface shiny like Armour All. More like a satin finish. Great for tire side walls and doesn't leach the rubber like Armour All.

LuckyDog

Yes but do not use it on the seat of your "Crotch Rocket" (road racing motorcycle) because if you hit the brakes you will slide and be wearing the handle bars - LOL. Use it any place you want to protect from the sun. It does not make the surface shiny like Armour All. More like a satin finish. Great for tire side walls and doesn't leach the rubber like Armour All.
Do NOT let it touch the treads!!!!!!

You won't be eating handle bars.... you'll be slidding on your butt everytime you go to take a turn. (Especially if there is ANY moisture on the road)

mbehne

I'll 2nd or third the 303. Been in the marine business for a long time, 303 is what we use and recommend, granted, Iowa sun isn't nearly as harsh as Florida sun but still hard on upholstery. The price a few of you have found it for is good, it lists for $66 a gal and costs me $40 so $50 shipped is a deal.

Mike

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I get a truck or trailer with a good cover, I take it off, make sure it's dry, fold it properly and store it out of the sun. I know it's work to do this (especially by yourself), but I rarely actually NEED to have the cover on when I'm using a truck or trailer. It's also a lot easier on my back to not have to bend over moving, loading, or unloading stuff from the bed. I've also thought about putting a cheap tarp over the mounted cover, just never got around to buying one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks