• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you remove rear leaf spring?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just loosen that bolt (might be one on other side of trunnion) and you should be able to remove spring pack.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea they don't look like fun picking them up. And for anybody reading this. MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT TRUNION BEFORE REMOVING THOSE BOLTS.

Bill W

And after you check and re-grease the ( solid ) trunnion bearings re install using two bearing nuts instead of just the one, and if you don't already have one then drill and install a grease fitting in the bearing housing ( see pic ) I also drilled drain holes in the bolt slots ( see pic )

Attachments

Last edited:

yolner

And after you check and re-grease the ( solid ) trunnion bearing re install using two bearing nuts instead of just the one, and if you don't already have one then drill and install a grease fitting in the bearing housing ( see pic ) I also drilled drain holes in the bolt slots ( see pic )
Those drain holes are a great idea!

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will post this also in my other thread also. But I'm glad I removed my U Bolts to get to my upper torque rod nuts. Hidden inside where those drain holes was a U bolt that was severely rusted through to the point of failure. Something you cant see until removed.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And after you check and re-grease the ( solid ) trunnion bearing re install using two bearing nuts instead of just the one, and if you don't already have one then drill and install a grease fitting in the bearing housing ( see pic ) I also drilled drain holes in the bolt slots ( see pic )
I will post this also in my other thread also. But I'm glad I removed my U Bolts to get to my upper torque rod nuts. Hidden inside where those drain holes was a U bolt that was severely rusted through to the point of failure. Something you can see until removed.
Both of ya'll are bringing up very good points. I would say the majority of deuces out there are 40-50 years old and I have encountered several with severely corroded u-bolts. It's really kind of a terrible design, I guess when they did it they didn't think about it or they didn't care because they thought the trucks would have 20 year service lives instead of 50+.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People might think I'm crazy. But I'm only removing spring to clean it up, paint, replace Bolts and lube everything up with antiseize for example. I'm already there. I might as well do it. My theory is to replace now, rather than being somewhere broke down with a part failure and not being able to service the truck because of frozen Bolts or worse sheared off Bolts.

yolner

People might think I'm crazy. But I'm only removing spring to clean it up, paint, replace Bolts and lube everything up with antiseize for example. I'm already there. I might as well do it. My theory is to replace now, rather than being somewhere broke down with a part failure and not being able to service the truck because of frozen Bolts or worse sheared off Bolts.
Are you planning to take the spring pack apart? I've been thinking about doing that.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think it's crazy. There's no other way to paint leaf springs. You have to disassemble them and blast them to get the rust out from between the leaves. If you just sandblast the outside, the rust will creep back out in 6 months.

yolner

I don't think it's crazy. There's no other way to paint leaf springs. You have to disassemble them and blast them to get the rust out from between the leaves. If you just sandblast the outside, the rust will creep back out in 6 months.
Exactly my problem. I painted mine but it's rusting back up since I couldn't get in the middle of the spring pack. Is there any trick to taking them apart or do you just break the bolts loose and then put new bolts in? Is all the other hardware reusable?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Exactly my problem. I painted mine but it's rusting back up since I couldn't get in the middle of the spring pack. Is there any trick to taking them apart or do you just break the bolts loose and then put new bolts in? Is all the other hardware reusable?
A lot of people say re-using u-bolts isn't a good idea. I'd re-use the rest of it.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just going to wire wheel each leaf, ospho, then paint with rustoleum. Completely different subject, but I was going to ask if somebody knew a color mixture to make the 383 carc green out of rustoleum paint. Or get it close wnough

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just order the CARC 383 Green from Rapco Parts just up the turnpike from you...it's cheap enough in the rattle cans and holds up pretty well.

rustystud

Both of ya'll are bringing up very good points. I would say the majority of deuces out there are 40-50 years old and I have encountered several with severely corroded u-bolts. It's really kind of a terrible design, I guess when they did it they didn't think about it or they didn't care because they thought the trucks would have 20 year service lives instead of 50+.
Actually it is a good design. It has held up for 50 years ! Most trucks don't last more then 15 years in active service. Even our buses which cost almost 1 million each only have a life span of 15 years. So considering these trucks have been driven and maintained by 18 year old men I think their doing pretty good !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks