• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How important are the extra fuel pumps? MEP003a

North Maine

I've been slowly getting my new-to-me MEP003a working and i just finally tracked down a "fish-biting" issue I thought was plugged fuel filters but was actually a dead fuel lift pump. At some point in the machines past the aux-transfer pump disappeared so my unit had only two fuel pumps, and they were plumbed inline feeding the filters. The downstream lift pump is/was dead and I guess they don't "flow-thru" very well because I could barely fill the filters while priming after changing the filters out. Once I plumbed the system to one single lift pump pulling from the tank and discharging to the filters I got good fast flow and about 10PSI fuel pressure to the Injector Pump... no more fish biting. Now to the title question:

Is it important to have 2 fuel pumps inline? Is there a pressure requirement for the Injector pump not met by a single pump?

On a side note I have the hose and bung adapter for an aux tank... but now I guess I need to get a transfer pump to operate "as-designed" for an aux tank.

North Maine

Thanks guys. I couldn't imaging that the original design was not flow-thru- it defeated the point of it being redundant! My set has seen a fair amount of tinkering I'm afraid, so I'm not surprised to find out it has a non-original fuel pump.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't realize the 3 pumps on mep003a were not all the same P/n. Can these pumps be disassembled, cleaned and be expected to work again. I'm not hearing the fast clicking and it will not start. Thx for any info on these pumps.

Ray70

The pumps are very simple to open up, clean and reassemble.
All that's in there are 2 check balls, top and bottom and a magnetic plunger that vibrates back and forth to move the fuel.
Most likely yours are just stuck from gum buildup.
Take off the base with a 5/8" wrench, remove the strainer basket and you will see a wire clip that is holding everything together.
Take it apart and clean everything and reassemble.

Guyfang

Staff member
Didn't realize the 3 pumps on mep003a were not all the same P/n. Can these pumps be disassembled, cleaned and be expected to work again. I'm not hearing the fast clicking and it will not start. Thx for any info on these pumps.
I beg to differ. All three electric ful pumps are the same. There has of course, been a number of pumps bought by the milatary over the years, and some do have different part #'s, but they are all compatible. Also, there are a number of pumps that LOOK just like the "Right" pump, but are not. The main difference is that all the "Right" pumps must be able to let fuel flow through them, if they fail. That's why there are two pumps for fuel delivery to the IP. If one fails, the set is supposed to continue to run. Also the addition of the RFI filter on the newer pumps.

If you open TM 9-6115-584-24P, to PDF reader page # 72 and 74 states that all three pumps are the same. The attachment is an exploded picture that shows the pump parts that Ray told you of. This picture came from another TM. Rarely did anyone in the Army ever take one apart and clean it. It was easier to just order another.

Attachments

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my pumps died and for whatever reason the second one could not pull thru it. Pulled it apart and cleaned it. Moves easily back and forth inside. Put it in doesn't click.

Thoughts? It has power since by swapping the wires the good one still works. Could it be electrical in between whatever that round tube thing is?

Not finding in the TM anything on fixing the pump so far. Can you pull the wire off where it enters the pump? Seems awfully tight on there.

Anyone have a pump they want to get rid of? Reasonable place to find one?

Chainbreaker

One of my pumps died and for whatever reason the second one could not pull thru it. Pulled it apart and cleaned it. Moves easily back and forth inside. Put it in doesn't click.

Thoughts? It has power since by swapping the wires the good one still works. Could it be electrical in between whatever that round tube thing is?

Not finding in the TM anything on fixing the pump so far. Can you pull the wire off where it enters the pump? Seems awfully tight on there.

Anyone have a pump they want to get rid of? Reasonable place to find one?
A common issue is failure of the inline RF Filter making the pump inoperable. They are inline with the pump and are a round, or square, thingy depending on pump vintage...round were later superseded by square form factor. Just cut it out and butt splice the 24V wire back together.

Unless you have sensitive 2 way radio gear nearby (think Military) there is no need for the RF filters for civilian use, unless perhaps your a Ham Radio operator.

EDIT: Also the correct flow-through pump is Facet P/N 480517E (P/N is stamped on mtg flange). All 3 pumps should be that number for interchangeability.
If you don't use an Aux fuel source hookup you can think of the Aux pump as a spare pump and thus it should be the same model for redundancy/flow through.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear you are having issues with the pumps. The RF/EMI filters can definitely be a PITA. Cut them out, and get the cannon plug wired back up to the raw wire and see if they go (make sure you put back together in the most water tight way you are capable). I got in an 002 years ago fresh out of reset, and all 3 pumps were DOA (but looked brand new). Never can tell.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys.
12V Facet flow thru pumps are available for under $100. P/N FAC-480534
Has anyone tried a 24v to 12v dc converter to step down the fuel pump circuits?
Seems in my head that this could be done fairly easily without changing actual OEM wiring. 20A converter IP68 rated for $18 on Amazon.

Two pumps and converter for less than one new original pump...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys.
12V Facet flow thru pumps are available for under $100. P/N FAC-480534
Has anyone tried a 24v to 12v dc converter to step down the fuel pump circuits?
Seems in my head that this could be done fairly easily without changing actual OEM wiring. 20A converter IP68 rated for $18 on Amazon.

Two pumps and converter for less than one new original pump...
I would keep it simple and use the 24 VDC pump.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though they are expensive and the problem has been addressed and fixed, it might behoove you to put up (1) of the proper OEM pumps on your parts shelf for the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks