• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to- MRAP Eyecon Light kit install on M923A2

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I bought an Eyecon MRAP light kit from @MilStuffMike65 and decided to install it on my M923A2 "Big Bertha"

After receiving it, I realized there is a sever lack of information on the installation of these kits on anything but MRAPS, so I figured I would document my installation on Big Bertha to help those who come after me... if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

The book that comes with the kit states one soldier can install in 8 hours, but it's better with 2 soldiers.

Between prep, modding brackets, figuring out how to mount and installation, it's taken 3 solid days so far. All thats left is to clean up the pass through I cut into the cab and storing excess wire lengths.

Also, I made some mistakes and had to take a few steps backward to correct them, so I hope this helps others from making the same mistakes.
So:

Day 1: Prepping and painting.

While all of the OG trucks are tan or camo, Bertha is black, and tan gear would mess my feng shui......

Painting brackets:

received_3104827563167972.jpeg

Taking the light bars apart to paint the housing to ensure I didn't get paint on any lights, lenses or important stuff inside:

received_677498213330148.jpeg

Taking them apart does two things:

As stated, no paint on important stuff, and by not taping, you get good coverage in all of the nooks and crannies.

Also, you don't need to remove **everything**. If you follow the directions in the book for "light module replacement", you can take the lights out, tape off the ends of the connectors and tuck them back and get good coverage on everything.

I was originally going to paint everything matte OD green to set them off from the truck, but quickly realized there wasn't enough paint in 3 cities for what I need, so the decision was made to use high temp matte black.

After everything was painted, it was getting dark, so we wrapped for the day to allow the pieces to dry.

Day 2: Testing and layout on the truck

After everything dried, I wanted to ensure everything worked before I started cutting and drilling, so I laid everything out and used the batteries for the M37 for juice

20220415_112905.jpg

The different components are labeled according to their location. For instance the drivers side light bar is referred to as the "Street Side Light Bar" and the connector end of the cable is labeled "SSLB". The search lights (which are remote controlled by the way!) are labeled "SSSL" and "CSSL" (Street Side and Curb Side Search lights).

The cables are all labeled to help with identification. For instance, the Street Side Light bar cable has a tag on it reading "SSLB", the Vehicle Interface Box has breakers on it, and the power cable for it is labeled "VIBPOW". Everything going to the Pass Through Plate in the cab has "PTP" at the end of the initials.

One of the confusing aspects was which end goes where, but after a little head scratching, I figured it out.

Once I had everything laid out, I connected the batteries, hit the master "On" switch... and nothing. No power to the control box.

After some serious googling and searching here in the site, I found one mention of a solenoid that needs to be energized in order to allow power flow to the box. In an MRAP, there's a plug that goes to the main breaker box that sends power to the solenoid when the master switch is on. That was bypassed in the other thread by bypassing the small white plug on the VIB and putting a toggle switch sending 24VDC to the solenoid.

I opened the box up to look at it and realized the ONLY purpose of the solenoid was to energize the breaker bus bar.

Screenshot_20220417-113021_Gallery.jpg

So out came the trusty screwdriver (at this point my sweet lady @IRIS_Always thought "Its brand new and he's gonna tear into it!?!?!" and had to walk away) and the solenoid went away....

20220415_124415.jpg

I reconnected everything and angels sang!

20220415_125040.jpg

That process easily ate up 3 hours, so hopefully if someone finds this thread, it'll save them that time.

I decided at that point to do the "easy" install of the "Front" and "Rear" light bars. Being as I won't need the rear light when I have the cargo cover on, I decided to mount it facing forward.

To mount the front light on the bumper, I had to remove the top shackles from my bumper. I took the long bolt out and reused the short bolts from the removed shackles to rescue the back of the bottom shackles.

I also worried about hood and hood locking bar clearance, so before I made anything permanent, I checked the gap:

20220415_131549.jpg

It *barely* touches the bottom of the light bar in the front and the back is good to go.

The kit comes with a "spacer" bar with the bolt holes on it, so using that as a template, I drilled the holes and mounted the light.

20220415_131440.jpg

Next was the "Rear" light on the roof. I used the bracket and drilled into the cab to mount it, using LOTS of silicone to seal it. After mounting it, I realized the MRAP apparently has an angled rear that it mounts to and the light wasn't level because the bracket is made for that angle.

So... down it comes and I mark 2 new holes in the bracket to mount it level and using my trusty cutting blade, lopped off the top of the bracket to make everything level and pretty:

Screenshot_20220417-114514_Gallery.jpg

So after about 6 hours, I had working lights and 2 of them installed.

20220415_151724.jpg

More in the next post.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next was mounting light bars:

I had found this pic online of the kit mounted, but didn't realize the intake had been modified to allow the rear bracket to not hit it....

Screenshot_20220415-101756_Gallery.jpg

They had also fabricated all kinds of other brackets for the installation. Being as I'm a "shade" tree", I had to get creative....

I decided to flip the rear brackets to allow clearance for the intake mushroom.
received_516398656743494.jpeg

Then after measuring, I knew something would have to be done to mount the front bracket, as our cabs don't have 43" inches to work with, so I decided to cut the front bracket down to the flat plate and use bolts and spacers mounted to the interior of the light to level the lights.

Again, out came the trusty cutting wheel...

20220417_120123.jpg

I made spacers using electrical conduit and fender washers inside the housing and out to ensure everything is secure.

NOTE: To flip the brackets, make sure everything is facing the correct way before you start cutting!

Once I had the brackets cut, I used them as templates and drilled into the cab to mount them. It is easier after drilling your holes to mount the front bracket to the light off of the truck because you have to open the housing and move some of the transformers etc to drill your holes and install the washers and nuts.

After the light bars, it was time to install the search lights. Once again, the angles on the MRAP bit me in the butt because they are designed to be mounted to the front windshield frame, which is angled on an MRAP, but vertical on our trucks.

After thinking it through, I decided to mount the lights on top of the cab. To do that, I had to modify the brackets, so out came the trusty cutting wheel....
received_334511728573451.jpeg

**note** I know we are all grown people, but PLEASE use PPE. Even with long sleeves etc, my arms and legs got very abused during this process. I also had a cutting wheel disintegrate and debris flew everywhere, so had I not had a face shield etc on, I would have been severely hurt.

The modified brackets were silicone and mounted:

20220416_104034.jpg

After mounting both brackets, the search lights were mounted:

20220416_110333.jpg

After that came the pass through plate and figuring out where everything went. There isn't a lot of room in the cab, so I had to improvise.

I'll probably post that tomorrow as there's some cleanup I want to do before I post pics.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next was mounting light bars:

I had found this pic online of the kit mounted, but didn't realize the intake had been modified to allow the rear bracket to not hit it....

View attachment 865061

They had also fabricated all kinds of other brackets for the installation. Being as I'm a "shade" tree", I had to get creative....

I decided to flip the rear brackets to allow clearance for the intake mushroom.
View attachment 865062

Then after measuring, I knew something would have to be done to mount the front bracket, as our cabs don't have 43" inches to work with, so I decided to cut the front bracket down to the flat plate and use bolts and spacers mounted to the interior of the light to level the lights.

Again, out came the trusty cutting wheel...

View attachment 865063

I made spacers using electrical conduit and fender washers inside the housing and out to ensure everything is secure.

NOTE: To flip the brackets, make sure everything is facing the correct way before you start cutting!

Once I had the brackets cut, I used them as templates and drilled into the cab to mount them. It is easier after drilling your holes to mount the front bracket to the light off of the truck because you have to open the housing and move some of the transformers etc to drill your holes and install the washers and nuts.

After the light bars, it was time to install the search lights. Once again, the angles on the MRAP bit me in the butt because they are designed to be mounted to the front windshield frame, which is angled on an MRAP, but vertical on our trucks.

After thinking it through, I decided to mount the lights on top of the cab. To do that, I had to modify the brackets, so out came the trusty cutting wheel....
View attachment 865064

**note** I know we are all grown people, but PLEASE use PPE. Even with long sleeves etc, my arms and legs got very abused during this process. I also had a cutting wheel disintegrate and debris flew everywhere, so had I not had a face shield etc on, I would have been severely hurt.

The modified brackets were silicone and mounted:

View attachment 865065

After mounting both brackets, the search lights were mounted:

View attachment 865066

After that came the pass through plate and figuring out where everything went. There isn't a lot of room in the cab, so I had to improvise.

I'll probably post that tomorrow as there's some cleanup I want to do before I post pics.
LIGHT EM UP, Sir!!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all...

Now...

Mounting the interior stuff.... To say our trucks don't have a lot of extra room for accessories is an understatement. I was also having to work around the other wiring I've installed for the convoy lights and overhead console I've installed...

After measuring for the pass through in between the seats and making sure I had clearance for the connectors, I decided to mount the Vehicle Interface Box behind the passenger seat head and the control box to the ceiling.

20220417_105330.jpg

20220416_185301.jpg

I initially tapped the control box bolts into the roof liner bracket, but that's kind of sketchy so I'm going to get some longer countersunk bolts and fender washers and mount through the roof.

That completed the install.

Lessons learned:

There are virtually no nuts included in the system, and a majority of the bolts are not the right size you'll need to mount the kit in a M923. Lay out and plan your install and determine the hardware you'll need. I made way too many trips to Lowes, whereas had I known this, I could have only taken one trip. Also, you will end up with extra bolts, washers etc. Don't be afraid to repurpose them.

The wiring isn't that complicated. Once you figure out the labeling method, it's simple.

Make sure you have a helper. The side bars are about 20 lbs each and the front bar is about 35. They are awkward and an extra set of hands goes a long way to making it easier.

Planning the location of the install before drilling cutting saves you time during installation.

PPE- as I stated above, even with full PPE, I got cuts and knocks, so please be safe.

If you have ANY questions, feel free to reach out!

Various pics of the install:
Two of my buddies helping me

received_697743247942401.jpeg

received_529435451882069.jpeg

Front light bar power wire is run along the inside of the frame rail

20220416_152728.jpg

Search lights and side bar lighting wiring

20220416_152649.jpg

20220416_152652.jpg
Lit up

20220415_204635.jpg

20220415_204628.jpg
20220415_204649.jpg

Last edited:

TheQuaker

Ken

Awesome job on the install and figuring out how to adapt the kit to your truck! Looks great and you are obviously happy with the results.

But...I am cringing at all the holes you needed to drill into your hard top.... :cry:

YMMV...so to each his/her own and you know I am 100% behind you. She's all yours so have at it as you see fit. But I am stroking out here a little... :)

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken

Awesome job on the install and figuring out how to adapt the kit to your truck! Looks great and you are obviously happy with the results.

But...I am cringing at all the holes you needed to drill into your hard top.... :cry:

YMMV...so to each his/her own and you know I am 100% behind you. She's all yours so have at it as you see fit. But I am stroking out here a little... :)
Lol. Yeah, that was a major hang up for me. I didn't want to do it either, but I figured it's permanent, so... 🤷‍♂️

FloridaAKM

I got one of those kits from GL back a few years ago & had to ship it to Florida. After it arrived, I found out that you can't install it & keep the on road tag, so it sits in the original cartons it was sold in, inside of one of my shops.

One way to get out of the work of installing it. I have seen those parts & pieces sold off @ the military meets every so often for big $$$!

Great job & pictures of the installation, thanks!

FloridaAKM

It was explained to me that if I changed the paint job or added a business logo to it or even added the MRAP lighting system, they would pull my tag & change to title to an off road tag only.

The truck had to stay as it was when it came out of the military to continue with a title & tag to use state or county owned roads.

I think I have opened a can of stink that should have been left closed & sealed dealing with this issue.

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was explained to me that if I changed the paint job or added a business logo to it or even added the MRAP lighting system. they would pull my tag & change to title to an off road tag only.

The truck had to stay as it was when it came out of the military to continue with a title & tag to use state or county owned roads.

I think I have opened a can of stink that should have been left closed & sealed dealing with this issue.
Oohhh. Gotcha. Florida rules. 🤦‍♂️

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Point that truck at a dark stage and you have a rock concert! Have you heard anything from NASA? I’m sure they can see Bertha from the space station…
Nice job fitting those lights to your 5ton. I especially like your solution to the solenoid issue!
That one was a head scratcher for a minute until I could open it up and see the power flow...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks