• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to uncover your original bumper number

AnonymousOne

Hi,

As your aware, GL paints over the original truck markings on the bumper. Bumper numbers are useful to find out where the truck is from and important for some folks who want to truly keep the original nature of the truck.

Here is what my dad showed me to do get the number .. of course you will need to repaint the whole thing when done but you will have the original truck ID number and what group it belonged too.

1. Get a tooth brush, paper towels, small container and Acetone (chemical depends on what type of spray paint was put on your truck)

2. Put the acetone in the container.

3. Dunk the tooth brush in the container and find a GL Spray painted "test spot" to see if Acetone is the right chemical to use. Brush semi hard .. the GL Spray paint should come off. Vary chemical to one which dissolves the "Test Spot" leaving the truck paint. If the truck paint comes off too then STOP .. wrong chemical.

4. Use the paper towels to wipe the test spot dry. Do NOT rub hard with the paper towel. Wipe softly to dry and pick up any loose paint.

5. Once the chemical has been proven on a test spot .. then repeat on the real part of the bumper where the numbers should be.

6. You will need to start guestimating on the numbers and letters as they start to show up to clean around them with the tooth brush. Though you can brush semi hard with the tooth brush at some point you will brush the numbers and letters off too. Use caution.

7. If you start on the back bumper, if you screw up you can always do it on the front bumper. Also some numbers and letters may be in reverse colors so don't always look for black letters, look for tan letters too.

8. Good news, the worst thing that can happen is that you have to use a cheap can of black spray paint and re-do the GL paint on your bumpers.

Hope this helps someone.

PS - Even though I am 45, my dad is still my hero :beer:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks