• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hubs were locked all this time........

Carolina1010

Hi guys,
I finally found a few free minutes and decided to try out the 4x4
Thing is, I have been unhappy with fuel mileage so far and when I found a good field road to play on I got out to lock the hubs and wouldn't ya know it, they were already in the locked position.
I've read where this will have an adverse effect on fuel mileage. Which I'm kinda happy about.
But now I'm worried I may have hurt something, or at the very least accelerated the wear on some parts.
I don't have any weird noises or vibrations.........lol, well, none any weirder than normal anyway.
What do you guys think, should I be ok or am I in line for a painful lesson right mow?

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience with regular pickup trucks you can drive around hubs locked and it just increases wear on the rotating parts of the drivetrain but no damage.

It reduces fuel mileage of course. I don't think you should be worried. In some ways I feel it might be good for the front driveshaft to turn now and then to keep the bearing lube distributed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will hurt nothing. Lock outs didn't always exist. Coast wear on those parts will be negligible at best. It does give you a great reason to get in there and do a bearing inspection/ repack.

Keith_J

Once a month for a few days keeps lube distributed and seals exercised. Now driving in 4H on hard roads will cause wear with hubs locked.

Driving a few miles with hubs disengaged in 4H isn't a problem either, the relative rotation in the hubs is similar, just different direction. And you get all the bearing and seal benefits of running with hubs locked in 2 wheel drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks