• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer wheels on M1009?

COACHG31

Good morning,

I haven't been able to search on my own yet so I apologize for asking a question that has probably been answered. I have a 85 M1009 with the 8 bolt axles. Will the Hummer wheels fit? I found some to purchase but want to make sure before spending money. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!

pmramsey

It is not so much a problem of bigger tires fitting, it is what happens to the transmission and axle ratios.
Increasing tire size reduces your vehicle's Effective Gear Ratio. The increased size causes the tires to rotate slower to cover the same amount of ground. ... If you are running an automatic transmission this can cause some serious strain depending on the current gear ratio if you choose not to regear your system. PLUS, the M1009 axles with a 3.08 ratio can not compete with the heavy duty axles with 4.56 ratios found on the pickup versions of the CUCV trucks.

richingalveston

Need to know the axles you are using and you need to specify which hummer rims are you talking about. If it is the military hummer rims your problem will be with the back spacing. The rims have to be re-centered or spacers have to be used. If it is a civi hummer rim H1 then I believe they fit but you may still have a back spacing problem. Have the seller give you the lug spacing dimensions and the back spacing if they can and with that info, we can better help you.

Barrman

If you are talking about H2 17 inch wheels with the 35 x 12.5 tires which I think are 315/75 in metric speak. If you have normal Chevy 8 lug axles from a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Then, the answer is kind of.

The wheels fit just fine. The tires will not at stock height without a lift or cutting the fenders a bit. Here is my M1007 Suburban with a 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt rear axle. 1 inch add a leaf in the front with cut front and rear fender openings. ORD 2.5 inch shackle mount flip in the rear.

17-05-19.CDK20 drivers side on dirt road.JPG

richingalveston

those are regular 12 bolt/ 8 lug military hummer wheels. that appear to have been re-centered. They may also be running spacers on the front since the hubs do not look like they are sticking out far enough. The spacers in the front help the tire clear the frame when turning and put the front wheels in line with the back so they track in the same line. Stock set up the front wheel base is a couple inches narrower than the back. The front fender well has been cut on the vehicle shown.
you can get re-centered wheels from http://www.trailworthyfab.com/
keep in mind your location and how tough the police are. Once the wheels are re-centered they are no longer DOT approved.

Chaski

I hate to break the news - but that front axle is not a Dana 60. - that looks like a 44 to me. The 60 does not use 2 U-bolts on the passenger side. It uses one U-bolt, and the housing is threaded for 2 bolts in place of the inner U-bolt.

UPDATE...
I edited the backspace numbers to reflect what you net with a 7” BS wheel- thanks to Gringeltaube for the diagram in the next post....

I believe four choices exist as far as installing HMMWV wheels on a front axle, and three on the rear.

Front option #4 Dana 60 with Dana 60 DUALLY front hubs (act as roughly 3.25" spacers) and stock HMWV wheels. (3.75”BS).

Front option #1 STEEL (NOT ALUMINUM) 2-3" thick bolt on spacers (Stahl brand) with stock HMMWV wheels. (4-5”BS).

Front option #2 Re-centered HMMWV wheels using stamped centers (3.5" Backspacing).

Front option #3 Re-centered HMMWV wheels using flat centers (custom backspacing)

Rear option #1 STEEL (NOT ALUMINUM) 2-3" thick bolt on spacers (Stahl brand) with stock HMMWV wheels. (4-5”BS).

Rear option #2 Re-centered HMMWV wheels using stamped centers (3.5" Backspacing).

Rear option #3 Re-centered HMMWV wheels using flat centers (custom backspacing)

In my experience if you choose to go with the re-centered route ONLY go with stamped centers. They do not offer the best backspacing option, but they are strong and don't have stress risers like gusseted flat center steel wheels. I personally made up a set of gusseted flat center wheels that cracked where the tip of the gusset was welded to the wheel shell, causing an air leak.

IMHO 2" steel spacers with stock HMMWV wheels are the best combo. They net you about 5" backspacing, tuck under the rig nicely. Strong, and you get to use stock HMMWV wheels.

I DO NOT recommend aluminum spacers, for the following reason. when you look at the back of a 24 bolt HMMWV wheel the wheel centers are stamped in a way that is not flat on the mating surface with the hub. There are 8 points (corrected to 16) that make contact with the hub, and being that aluminum is so soft I am concerned those 8 (16) points of contact could wear / deform the spacer and cause the wheels to come loose.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... that front axle is not a Dana 60. - that looks like a 44 to me. The 60 does not use 2 U-bolts on the passenger side. It uses one U-bolt, and the housing is threaded for 2 bolts in place of the inner U-bolt.
Ditto, 100%.
.... when you look at the back of a 24 bolt HMMWV wheel the wheel centers are stamped in a way that is not flat on the mating surface with the hub. There are 8 points that make contact with the hub, ....
Almost correct .... but if you want to be 100% accurate, it's actually 16 "points" - plus the whole circumference around the pilot hole - that makes contact, after the lug nuts are all torqued down.
IMHO, wear (on the spacer) should only occur if the wheel became loose, somehow while turning under load.

And lastly (FWIW...), the backspace on our HMMWV wheels is very close to 7", not 7-1/4".

Attachments

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Option 5: Arrowcraft AA-4C dually spacers on front & rear. You will need to purchase acorn style nuts separately as the adapters come with flat style for dually wheels. These are 5 inches and I like how my wheels protrude slightly.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks