• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Radio

MEGATON

Hello I want to put a functioning radio in my Humvee but not to sure where to start.

First I 20131214_172644.jpghave a radio shelf Pic #1... I would like to install a rt1439 radio.. I assume I need this radio bracket... pic # 2$T2eC16dHJHoFGlc!OkUmBSOJIj(WF!~~60_57.jpgsmall.jpg... to install radio pic #3 ? Thanks... also I assume this is a radio that would be in a humvee ?

What other items would I need to complete the radio setup ?

Thanks

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The antenna would be the AS-3900.

Hand microphone H-250 or H-350.

Speaker is LS-671.

Tha cables and RF amp I am not familiar with. But hope what I gave you helps.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll also need a vehicle amplifier adaptor (VAA). The radio will function without an amplifier. You don't need the amplifier itself, just the amplifier adaptor as pictured below.
You'll need the coax to go to from the VAA to your antenna base. Either the AS3900 or AS3916 antennas and their associated bases will work. You'll need a power cable from the mounting base to the vehicle battery. An electrical suppressor between the mounting base and the battery such as the MX-7777 is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary. You'll need a handset, either the H250, or the H350 will work. All those, plus the electrical mounting base and shelf you have pictured above will complete your setup.

May I also suggest a TM. There are many that cover SINCGARS vehicle installation. The TM-11-5820-890-10 series will get you plenty of info for your installation. Keep in mind the freqs SINCGARS transmits on, 30-88 MHz are all regulated. If you don't have one already, you'll need an amateur radio license to transmit.

Attachments

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you need to check the chart that says what VAA is compatible with what model radio. While they may all LOOK the same, some VAA's don't wok with the older radios well. And while your at it, throw in a power amp with W2 cable.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point with the VAAs emmado. Usually not an issue with the 1523 series when using SINCGARS for voice only, but it may be an issue with 1439s and newer VAAs or INCs.

W2 is the RF cable that goes from RT to amp. W4 is the RT to VAA for audio and data. ;-)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was close.. The VAA and RT compatibility issue was a big problem in the early days of Applique + and POSNAV (all precursors to FBCB2).. Then one day, everyone in 1BCT 4ID traded in old VAA's for the newest models at the time. Litterally, all in 1 day DX for VAA's.. I had pallet loads of them in my warehouse.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the opposite problem. My HHC commander uncovered piles of old VAAs at a FOB in Iraq and I had to quickly secure them lest some of our Stryker crews start using them in place of their INCs. In theater it wasn't too much of a problem, but in garrison the crews would yank all their comms out when they were done training and end up putting it back wrong. Occasionally an old VAA would find its way in to a Stryker and foul things up. The crew never knew what was up, and It would stump my 25Us because we never looked looked at the model of VAA.

truck1

Do you already have the Sincgars radio? If not an RT-524 and R-442 would cover most of those frequencies and be correct for your vehicle. Also the VRC series is a lot more affordable than the Sincgars series of radios. The Rt-524 and R-442 would fit perfectly in the Humvee tray you have now. I have this setup in my M-1028 and it works great. For about 1K more or less you can acquire all radios, cables , antennas, mounts , and suppressor. Singars radio equipment requires deep pockets!

Last edited:

MEGATON

Hello guys, is this the correct TM-11-5820-890-10 Discussed above ? Having issues finding ?

also i Have

Speaker wire : cx-13292/vrc
Radio wire : cx-13292/vrc

Same wire ? Do I need both ?

Power wire : cx-13302 ( this has been cut at one end) is that ok, that goes to the battery ?

Thanks !

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several length speaker wires, and 2-3 different length power cables. ALl have different NSN's.. The TM's will help you.

MEGATON

Also my Power wire : cx-13302 ( this has been cut at one end) has two red wires and two black wires coming out one end.. where does the 4 wires go ? Thanks

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TheTM 11-5820-890-10- series has at least 10 volumes. They all end in -1,2,3,4… and so on. Just google it. You'll get hits like this. PRC68.com is also good source. Brooke at PRC68 figures out how things work and posts the results so it goes beyond the TM, but it can difficult to sort out what you need of you don't know what you're looking for. Start with the TM.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello guys, is this the correct TM-11-5820-890-10 Discussed above ? Having issues finding ?

also i Have

Speaker wire : cx-13292/vrc
Radio wire : cx-13292/vrc

Same wire ? Do I need both ?

Power wire : cx-13302 ( this has been cut at one end) is that ok, that goes to the battery ?

Thanks !
The cx-13292/vrc is all you need for the speaker.
It has a Radio end and a Speaker end, its listed on the yellow labels.
The cx13302 should have lugs on the ends, unless someone cut them off.
They go to the batteries.
I have most of the parts, but no working radio's.
I have an RT-1439 that needs a power supply board.

vitamink

I have the coax and a mic i'll send you free with that pintle riser if you still want it. I'm currently modding a sincgars trainer to run like a CB radio. I hope to find a busted amplifier to make it look legit. The idea is to gut the CB internals and use all the switches to operate power/channel/squelch. The trainer looks just like a 1523 but is set up to connect directly to a computer. The thing is about 5/8" to long inside the amplifier so it has to be ground out to fit the amplifier. All other dimensions are spot on. Without the crypto cards a sincgars is essentially like a CB radio in the UK or a CB here with a linear amplifier only way more expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks