• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee shock absorber and spring options?

dhaumann69166

I was wondering if anyone has put different springs or shocks on their Humvee? I don’t ever haul anything and the biggest thing I pull with my M998 is my jet ski so I don’t really need the stiffness of the 1 1/4 ton suspension. I am trying to find out if any 3/4 or 1 ton variable rate springs are the same size? Also has anyone found a better shock absorber than the stock one? I have found conversion kits to switch over to King coil over shocks, insanely expensive, but havent had much luck finding aftermarket replacement shocks.

TDButler

Midwest Military Eqpt. has a set of springs on the website listed as “leveling springs”. They offer front only kits or a full kit with all four springs. Says that they are 30% lighter spring rate than factory and give about 1.5” of lift too. I was interested in the same thing and will likely be inquiring about these springs, no one seems to have experience with them so may have to try it out to find it out. As far as shock absorbers, new factory replacements are available all over, on the same website as well. If you want to spend a little extra the Dick Cepek replacements are well talked about.

Crapgame

There is a Fox mfg remote reservoir nitrogen-charged shock similar to the Rod Hall product at about 1/4 the cost. There are probably 4-5 different front spring types and 4 maybe 6 rear spring types.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We hit the trails last week and the washboard effect was so bad that the ride was not fun, so I just bit the bullet and placed the order for the soft ride springs from American Humvee, I will provide an update and review, I will have pics of before and after plus measurements.
To be continued....

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the coils are here, but the Humvee is still at the cottage.
I should have it here next week to work on it and I also will put 10K shocks on it
I'm installing the 10K shocks first to see what kind of ride I will get, then decide on the 1.5K nitro shocks are worth the money

Stay tuned for more...

Attachments

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the delay on this, but the rear is finally done, I had a broken bolt in the half shafts so I replaced them both and did the hub service at the same time.
As stated before new 10K shocks were also installed.
Since I usually do the work myself, I did find that two ratchet straps will help, one across to the other side to help for the coil clearance and the other to keep the hub out of the way.
I did have concerns about the fitment, but I contacted American Humvee and they said that this was normal and they would settle into place.
Check the pictures and let me know if you have any questions
I will re-measure the height once all four coils are replaced
Hoping to get this done before weeks end
As usual, stay tuned...

Attachments

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the front done, and this is my personal opinion about these coils
I don't know if there's a break in period or not , but for the the first road test on a paved road, I cannot say that there's a big difference.
I drove on the same MI roads with potholes and bumps that I drive to and from work, if no one told you that these where soft coils, you would not know the difference
I do like the fact the fact the front was raised about 2", I needed the clearance with the tires I have on.
I did my road test with 25lbs of pressure and I run Nitto's 20 X 13.5 X 38
I will drive them for a while and try to hit some dirt road and will report in a few weeks, any questions , just ask.
And as for the $1,500.00 shocks that they recommend, unless someone will lend me a set for a review, I will not be a buyer.
At this time, I would say hold on to your money

Attachments

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the Black Rhino Arsenal 20 X 12 with the -44 offset, Nitto's Ridge Grappler 38 X 13.5, they have the beads for balancing, nice and smooth ride.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After playing with tire pressure and different road test, I found out that the coils make a difference, but not at $1,200.00 one.
So this is where I am, I remembered seeing an old car on the road with dead shocks and how the car was bouncing up and down, then it hit me, that's kind of what I would like, but not as soft as that.
So I decided to remove my new 10K shocks and just run on the coils as a test, so don't be too quick to judge here, but the ride improved so much ,that this was the ride I'm looking for, when over the same road at 25lbs of pressure and wow, this is nice.
I have concluded that the 10K shocks are way too much for an empty Humvee, probably a light duty 1/2 truck shock would do the trick.
I have contacted a fabricator to see if they could make me a bushing that would accept a lighter truck shock using the original Humvee mount
I just need to find shocks that would be for a light duty truck and fit the specs below
Approximate collapsed length is 12-1/4" center eye to center eye.
Extended length is 16 and 3/8" center eye to center eye.
Travel is 4-3/4".
The bump stop on the shaft is 1-1/2" tall which is included in the travel length.
Diameter of loop is 1" and width of the loop is 1-3/4"

Do any of you think that this makes sense, my truck is stock and empty, just want a smoother ride on the trails.
Let me know what you think, good or bad, even if this means I've gone crazy

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
GOOD POINT [thumbzup]
No judgement here. Very smart actually. I did something like that. Changed up my springs on the front to snow plow (28 dollars ea new) and got the height / lift back. Mounted up 4 of those cheap NOS trailer / HumV shocks that were flooding the market a while back. Looking and feeling good... then.

When done, road like the control arm were welded together. Damm near bang the hood right off. This can't be right ?? So... messing around I unbolted the lower shock mount and just let it hang for a test run. Wow... the springs now act like springs and absorb the bumps without the hard bang and teeth chipping ride.

So I do agree that is a consideration for a more civilized ride. No need to be all OEM when tuning for a civilized ride. Who carries all that weight anyway? OK ok... all those up armored and gunned up dudes. 💥🔫

Don't know what's out there that could bolt right up. Had the same hard ride with the M1008, unless it was load with 20 bags of cement mix.

Guess the search is on or it's band saw and welder time, CAMO

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this place where you can look up by travel, collapse and extended length, I do like the ride better than ever, but a average shock would do the trick.
If the fabricator declines my request, I will probably do it myself like, find some 1/2 ton truck shocks and fabricate the mounting
Wish I could take an OEM shock apart and modify it like "Action" mentioned

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if this helps or not, but you can get the lighter load coils, such as the 954lbs rate, specialy if you are not loaded.

Part NumberTypeGVWRApplicationRate lbs/inTie ColorWire DiaFree Height
12338316 1B2Standard Front10,3002door W/O winch or plow954Yellow13.36"
12338316 1B9Standard Front10,300W/O winch or plow954Yellow13.36"
6005786B9Standard Front10,800W/O winch or plowBlue
06005786B2Front10,300Winch1250Orange0.98913.36"
06005787 B2Front10,300Note: 1954Red14.0"
12338316-2
Note: 2
Front10,800 / 12,100Snow plow1728Green?1.05212.36"
RCSK1842 81B9H/D Front12,100Fire trucksNote: 3Natural
12338316 B2Rear10,30010,300VariableGrey
06006008 B2Rear10,30010,8002,300Blue
06011073Rear12,10012,100 H/D3,000Yellow & Red

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just get civilian Hummer H1 CEPEK adjustable shocks?

With all the custom brackets you want to make to cluge something else together that might not work, you might as well just get these time tested shocks and be done with it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks