• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane Ida - Deep Water Rescue

HanksDeuce

I called St. George Fire Department today in Baton Rouge and volunteered for deep water rescue. I told them to call me if they need any help. These are the folks that I worked with back in the flood of 2016. Back then I had a Fire Fighter supervisor in the front with a hand held radio, and a young Fire Fighter out back that helped put my 6 ft fiberglass ladder out and get people in the bed.

Stay safe out there.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's gonna be real bad. Traveled about 60 miles inland, only mildly dropped in intensity, in about 8 hours... That's super slow.

NOLA is without power, they only have their own generators to power pumps instead of the normal grid system.....

People are idiots, as usual, and driving through high water and getting stuck....

D6T

I’ve never been there nor do I know much about it, but why do they make such a big deal over which parish someone belongs to? I’m guessing it’s so people know which church to go to for health and welfare items? I grew up in an Italian- and Polish-American area, with only three large Catholic Churches around, but rarely did the topic of “which parish do you belong to” ever come up in conversation.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve never been there nor do I know much about it, but why do they make such a big deal over which parish someone belongs to? I’m guessing it’s so people know which church to go to for health and welfare items? I grew up in an Italian- and Polish-American area, with only three large Catholic Churches around, but rarely did the topic of “which parish do you belong to” ever come up in conversation.
Not sure if serious... but...

A Parish is like a county.....

Like Boroughs of NYC = county...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I child I wondered the same thing (Louisiana native).

Louisiana was settled mainly by French and Spanish Roman Catholics. In fact, South Louisiana was mainly settled by French Catholic refugees from the Acadie region of Canada, they ended up in South Louisiana, integrated into the local population and became known as "Acadians" which got bastardized to "Cajuns".

Some day in the conversation forum, I'll post where the term "Coon ass" (which, believe it or not, is a term of pride) came from.

Louisiana is full of interesting and fascinating facts and stories, regardless of what "The Waterboy" said... 😁

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks