• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrometer the deuce juice?

Mt_Man

Has anyone ever check the specific gravity of their wmo mixes to see where it falls in relationship to diesel? Thinking of 80:20 wmo:gas for example
cheers

Welder1

I think the viscosity is more important than specific gravity. I am not sure that there is much difference on petroleum products as it relates to that.

CMPPhil

Hi

This could be an interesting thread, what are the simple ways of checking viscosity, and viscosity at temperature?

Look forward to reading more.

Cheers Phil

Mt_Man

Yep zahn cup for viscosities. There is a table to reference. Hydrometers(some come with thermometer built it) is a density tool. Which most things are then related to specific gravity. There is a wiz-wheel for getting temperature corrected results.

I was think there might be a correlation between specific gravity and BTUs. Then check viscosities would be helpful too. Got a project that requires higher quality and control then for the deuce. Just for consistency of the end product with mixing up batches. Especially with BTUs.
Some other questions is how does mixing gas vs diesel effect the flash point, autoignition temps, viscosities, etc. Knowing that cetane and octane are very different characteristics. I know BTUs can be calculated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks