• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am just about done

Capriceii

I have had my truck for 10 years, Just finished maintaining the wheel hubs, new boots on the front wheels and all the work that entails, then dropped in a new to me transmission, new brake lines, new wheel cylinders all the way around, took her for a break in trip 114 miles round trip, no issues. Today on mile 7, shifting from second to third she starts making this horrable slapping noise as I changed gears, then it starts to vibrate. So I stop the truck, and tried again on a straight road, same issue. So I limped her to work. IT sounds like it is coming from the front of the transmission. But it is much less pronounced with I shift in to low gear, so maybe it is the Transfer Case. To all my friends in Northeast Ohio, I do not want to give up my Green Addiction, but I am loosing my faith in my Green Machine. HELP a BROTHER OUT:) What am I hearing? What do I need to replace now? Do I drive it till it breaks? Any and all suggestions will be accepted!!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
11. EXCESSIVE VIBRATION OR CLUNKING 1. Check engine mounts and pads for looseness or damage. 2. Check mounting of transmission to engine. 3. Check jackshaft for loose or missing hardware. 4. Check torsionel damper for loose hardware or damage. If engine mounts or pads are damaged, replace (WP 0024 00 and WP 0025 00). Replace missing screws or tighten loose screws (WP 0132 00). Replace missing hardware and tighten loose hardware. Tighten loose torsionel hardware and/or replace damaged components.
workpackage 0006 00

TM9-2320-361-24-1 in the WP 0006 00

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you really are losing the Jackshaft because it is coming unbolted - or if the U-Joints have failed - you really aughta hear a heck of a noise. That 8 or so pounds of steel slapping around in the transmission tunnel should sound like it is coming up in the truck to get you.
Story Time With Tim:

I don't think I will ever forget when a Jackshaft on a 5-Ton came loose when the last bolt was disconnected... Laying there on my "sleeper" resting my arms, getting ready to reach up and tap it gently with a hammer to separate it from between the rear of the transmission and the front of the transfer case... For whatever reason, it fell down on me. Thankfully I was wearing safety goggles and it landed on my face. Hurt like "blue blazes" but nothing was broken (my nose almost) but there was no blood!

Live and learn, but one thing for sure, I guarantee that it never happened again!

Last edited:

HDN

I don't think I will ever forget when a Jackshaft on a 5-Ton came loose when the last bolt was disconnected... Laying there on my "sleeper" resting my arms, getting ready to reach up and tap it gently with a hammer to separate it from between the rear of the transmission and the front of the transfer case... For whatever reason, it fell down on me. Thankfully I was wearing safety goggles and it landed on my face. Hurt like "blue blazes" but nothing was broken (my nose almost) but there was no blood!
A good example why safety glasses and other personal protective equipment is important in this hobby! I'm glad you didn't break anything on your face!

Capriceii

So, So far It does not seem to be the mounts or the Jack shaft. I think I am going to drop the front drive shaft and take it for a test drive and see if that is where the noise is coming from. And I always wear safety glasses, just from the rust, junk and dirt that falls off into my face all the time.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good luck with dianosing the issue, these thing are 30 - 40 - 50 years old and can really try your reslove some days. I have a bad habit of going worse case senerio instantly which it seldom ever is. Somtimes I just have to leave it alone a day or so, step back from the ledge, regain my composure and try again. The people on this forum are very knowledgeable and helpful. Together WE CAN DO THIS , we got your back!

davidb56

why not pull the transmission top off. it takes 30 minutes... process of elimination, and you haven't eliminated a very strong suspect. First, "new to me" isn't new. Second, you mentioned shifting from second to third noise. You can Bar check the shaft bearings and eliminate the whole transmission as a possible culprit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks