• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

@#%$%&#%^*# I did it too... :(

Mudstone

Ok so there i was flushing coolant out of the M1009 today and decided **** i'll put a new thermostat in. I'm sure you all know what happened from there...

I busted both bolts about a quarter inch showing on the hose side. Any words of wisdom?

My plan... drill dead center with the largest extractor i can fit in there without damaging threads... that won't work.

Then take a chisel and slowly chisel out a "roach" (what we used to call the thread bits that come out when i was active duty)

If that doesn't work screw it drill a bit bigger and re tap. Any suggestions or past experiences would be awesome...

Anthony

Mudstone

no welder the g/f won't let me buy one yet... she's smart with money... i'm not so it's good for me to ok stuff with her.

Mudstone

anyone know the thread size? i am gonna buy a thread repair helicoil but i don't want to buy the whole kit if i know the size and TPI i can just buy the one i need... both bolts are shot beyond recognition. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

zout

drain coolant down to level below area accessing - heat up but to not get cherry red with head - need enough to break the rust and oxidization - slowly unscrew the bolts.
Still not too late to do this if you have not stated drilling.

Drilling and heli coil are last state attempts to recover.

If in the first stages of heating - PB Blaster is a good rust breaker lube to spray but not with flames in the area as it is flameable - it will smoke quite a bit and keep from breathing while spraying it as well.

Mudstone

so they are M10x1.5... i'm gonna try PB Blaster and heat before i drill... i bought these interesting stump remover socket things... i'm gonna try it also used this as an excuse to buy a 33 gallon air compressor from sears :) I like the idea of the air drill. Will one of those crappy propane torches work?

joeypushjr1

well i cheared mine off when i did mine alwhile back and i got so sick of trying everything so i just drilled it out and tapped it and installed a new bolt simple and quick. if you dont have taps the auto parts store has thread repair kits theres a install tool and things that look like springs u install in the hole and put in a bolt . works good as well used them before

Mudstone

i know of keenserts i also know i won't be able to get them today... and they are quite expensive. MAP gas is the yellow can of the crappy propane like torches?

Mudstone

ok so update... i helicoiled the top bolt... going to sears to get an air drill to drill out the second. only broke 3 bits in the whole process... there is some form of get this... jb weld on the bolts themselves. i thought it was rtv but no it looks exactly like jbweld.. F NJ NATIONAL GUARD!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks