• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I love generators!!!

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the generator guys certainly are quiet. Did we solve all of the troubleshooting issues and everyone's gen sets are running like a champ? Just wanted to see an auxiliary equipment post. All the big steel guys are always having problems and posting like mad. Just trying to determine if Guyfang is actually that good( I suspect he is) and has solved all. :) I'm just going to go buy another genset so I can have something to post about. See an excuse to buy more!!! That worked well. Now I have convinced myself there is a need for just one more.

csheath

Unless a 40KW single phase unit comes along I can steal I have my one and only. I actually saw a low mileage 60KW 3 phase, 40KW single a while back and it went for a decent price but not in my "steal" category. Dang thing was in pretty close driving distance to me also. I could plug something like that into my 200 amp panel and never worry about load management.

Triple Jim

Heck, my 003A does that for me. I've never worried about load management with it running. With a 40 kW generator your worry would shift to wet stacking.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless a 40KW single phase unit comes along I can steal I have my one and only. I actually saw a low mileage 60KW 3 phase, 40KW single a while back and it went for a decent price but not in my "steal" category. Dang thing was in pretty close driving distance to me also. I could plug something like that into my 200 amp panel and never worry about load management.
A large genset like you are talking about is way to big for backup for a house. A genset that big will be a major fuel hog. You will end up with major wetstacking since the genset won't ever have a large load. Also, you don't want a 3-phase only genset anyway. If you tap into one leg to get single phase, the genset will be unbalanced. You are much better off with a smaller 10 KW genset. I have a MEP003A 10 KW genset which powers my entire house through a 400-amp transfer switch I got from an auction. It provides both single and three phase. I use the three phase to power my workshop power tools and the single phase for backup for the house.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an MEP-002A and I haven't hooked it up to my new house to see how it performs. With my old house, I had my electric dryer on, every light on in the house including the night light in the hall, the electric oven on and half the burners until I got to 100% load. My new house my dryer is gas, oven is gas and no water pump, so there is a lot less of a load. I should try it anyway to see how it does. I have AC but the load to start motors could kick it on its face. I just would hate to burn something up trying a science experiment with my AC. It would be good to make the ol' girl grunt under a good load for an hour or so. Its been a while.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is my next purchase. I want 803 to go with stable of 802, 831, mep-018a, or 5kw single phase single cylinder duetz by stewart stevenson. Told you I love gens. But if and 804 pops up, might have to have one of them as well, but that would be about as big as I could feasibly use, and then only in certain situations.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking forward to being back home to work on them. Being on a remote job for the last year has been horrible for my generator addiction.
I'm in similar situation. Home on weekends, Houston during week. I have 831 in back of truck that is kicking my butt, however I will find gremlin at some point. I hate intermittent problems. But at least in my situation I can carry mine with me.

csheath

A large genset like you are talking about is way to big for backup for a house. A genset that big will be a major fuel hog. You will end up with major wetstacking since the genset won't ever have a large load. Also, you don't want a 3-phase only genset anyway. If you tap into one leg to get single phase, the genset will be unbalanced. You are much better off with a smaller 10 KW genset. I have a MEP003A 10 KW genset which powers my entire house through a 400-amp transfer switch I got from an auction. It provides both single and three phase. I use the three phase to power my workshop power tools and the single phase for backup for the house.
This unit I saw was an Onan with a 100 HP 4cyl turbo diesel and was rated to do 240V single phase at 40 KW. It wasn't one of the MEP designated three phase only units. I would take my chances with wet staking and fuel consumption on one of those. I run a 90 HP 4 cyl turbo diesel Backhoe all the time at low RPMs and haven't seen any wet stacking issues. It also uses less than a gallon per hour due to the low operating speeds. I keep it around the same 1800 RPM a good genset runs at.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in similar situation. Home on weekends, Houston during week. I have 831 in back of truck that is kicking my butt, however I will find gremlin at some point. I hate intermittent problems. But at least in my situation I can carry mine with me.
I have a 802, two 831s, and a 531 in the back of the truck right now. :D

On my next trip home I have to get them all under the shelter.

lonesouth

I'll be working on my spare 803a here shortly. Got to finish the rear brakes on the 77 bronco tonight, then I'll cart it into the garage for a good once over.

Triple Jim

I run a 90 HP 4 cyl turbo diesel Backhoe all the time at low RPMs and haven't seen any wet stacking issues.
The difference is the backhoe engine is probably being asked to do some work. It's not the low RPM that causes wet stacking, it's the light load that doesn't get the exhaust parts hot.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, not all problems resolved!

I have an MEP-016B with about 700 hours that I need to service (oil, oil filter, fuel, fuel filter, air filter (maybe)). And last time I tested it out, I couldn't figure out why the convenience ports worked and registered correct voltage but my multimeter wasn't registering any voltage on the terminal hardwire lugs. But it's been too long to remember all the specifics so I need to test it again...

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm happy with my one 803.... well, IF I saw a steal on an 802 or 831 - I might have to jump on it. However, the DSE controllers that craigc has been playing with have really got my attention - mostly for remote monitoring of engine functions. Still following everyone else's adventures and scheming/dreaming about what would work best for my budget/installation.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I to am following along on craigc adventure. When time allows I am going to have to try those out.
Here is another tidbit I will share.
The governor module on the 831's seems to be the weakest link, IMO. That being said they are available at OEM for $328 plus shipping. They have some in stock and if not can make you a new one with a few weeks lead time. I also spoke to the OEM for the inverters and they can rebuild them one time. Send them the serial # and they can tell you if it has been rebuilt and will inspect/repair if not ever rebuilt. Also will sell to civvies. Not sure of cost yet, admittedly scared on thier cost. When I get home I am going to check my serial # and then get estimate.

quickfarms

I think I am also addicted

I have four

A magnum light light tower, 6kw generator with built in load bank

A Mep 903 B, mounted on the big Navy Ford and soon to be replaced by A Cummings Oman QD 7.5

A Coleman light tower

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks