• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need 2wd steering geAr box

als804

I am trying to install crossover steeering setup for future 4 link system.

so i am now looking for a 2wd gear box.
Plan A. I found rebuilt 2wd gear box at 240$ . Is there any good idea to get more cheaply?

Plan B. Some guy said 2wd sector shaft could fit in 4wd gear box. How do i get 2wd sector gear box only?

plan C . Or i can do laser cut. So. How about making crossover pitman arm for 4wd gear box?But in this case pitman arm splines are hard to get. Instead, i would have to drill sector shaft to make Pin hole which is needed for keep pitman arm fixed from self-rotating

any good idea?

Last edited:

chevymike

Plan C = Don't even plan on that. Beyond being unsafe, it is likely illegal and wouldn't work well anyways. No steering box on a vehicle is using any type of pin to prevent it from rotating. Too much force.

Plan B = I have not heard of anyone doing that. I believe the 2WD and 4WD pitman arms have splines in different orientation, which would not put the 2WD arm in the correct location.

Plan A = start hitting junk yards. Look for '81-'87 2WD trucks (1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton I believe are all the same). If it doesn't show signs of leaking and the fluid looks fairly clean, you likely would be fine without rebuilding. If nothing else, you have a core for a rebuild.

TheOrigin

Splines on these shafts are also not cut all the way around. There is a section that is blank to prevent you from putting them on in the incorrect orientation. It's not worth trying to tear down a gearbox and replace seals and parts of you can buy one that will just bolt right up for $200. Check eBay and rock auto for your best prices.

Do Not try the pin route. That sounds like a head on collision waiting to happen. They have splines for a reason. To spread the massive torsional load out over the surface area of all the splines. A pin would have about 1/100 of the surface area to take that load. Very dangerous.

Skinny

Just drop the dough on a good aftermarket like Red Head, PSC, Borgeson, etc.

Parts store rebuilds are really hot or miss and not much less then the aftermarket.

Its steering dude...buy once cry once.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

als804

Haha thank you all guys.
Actually i was afraid of expensiveness of 2wd gear box. That why i had thought some ideas.

but i found cheap 2wd gear box at ebay and I bought days ago. And will replace all seals.
also i made an order of 2inch drop pitman arm which I don’t know it will fit.

als804

after hearing from u I bought 1990 suburban 2WD gear box at $95 on ebay
I tried to put 2wd sector shaft in 4wd gear box from m1008 and found it really fits to.
but i changed whole seals 2wd gear box and installed.
also bought “Jeep Wrangler TJ 97-02 Pitman Arm 2 Inch Drop OEM FREE SHIPPING” at $20.
It has the same splines as GM 2wd one.

05DFFB47-9FDD-4E85-B46C-825017619459.jpeg
444C1DAD-A9AD-478E-94E1-BA7F7CC81867.jpeg
8AFB0493-14D5-45E7-886A-968273B0AAC8.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks