• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need help v-100 ownership

plasmacutter

This is my first post, go easy on me,

I may be able to put my hands on a 25 year barn find XM706E2 There is no paperwork at all.
I have read some older threads from members on how they were able to reg and title in there states, i am looking for members wisdom
advising me the best safest way to do this, My fear is buying and loosing the truck if i draw to much attention, i guess i am asking has anyone gone through this process recently ( 2014 ) with success
please advise
thanks guys Gary

B3.3T

I have owned 5 V-100s. The first thing is confirm where they got it. No guessing. Without a paper trail, you will always run the risk, however small, of serious problems, even having it taken. Being an E2 is a big plus in your favor as most in private hands are E2 models.

plasmacutter

I was told this v100 was heading to a scrap yard in Maryland , a friend of my fathers rescued it, along with another
that was sold off , this was in 1982 or 1985 the date is un clear in 25 years I don't have the recipe and the metal yard
is long gone, the truck is now in my position hidden away

B3.3T

Actually that's a common recovery story and if true, you are likely in the clear. The problem with anything like this is if it "disappeared" from some installation or PD and it is on a list. Some were legally and illegally pulled off target ranges. Still others were legally and illegally sold from LE agencies.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good find on the 706E2, I'm working on paying off the 706E1 I recently purchased and was lucky that it has a title with it so I'm in the clear with it. It's the main reason i decided to pay a little more for it.

Jason

plasmacutter

I think B3.3T has a great point as far as knowing the history, I am lucky, just not as lucky as Austringer to have found one with a title. I have to trust my father there was no funny business with this truck, what is my next step, or what is a good state to start

I live in New Jersey the will not help you state

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does NJ offer bonded titles? Here in TX that would be the process. The title lists mfgr, VIN, body style, color. No place to fill in "armored".

plasmacutter

nothing like that in N.J. how would texas DMV calculate a value ? and what is involved with there safty inspection certificate ?

plasmacutter

has anyone used a bonding company for this process ? could the truck be in a different state say at a welding shop or restoration shop during this process ?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Move to TX, get the bonded title, registered as a FMV no inspection required. Now I don't know if an inspection of the vehicle (VIN verification) is needed for the bonded title but it likely is.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nothing like that in N.J. how would texas DMV calculate a value ? and what is involved with there safty inspection certificate ?
The TXDMV places the minimum value at $4000. No safety inspection required here until you put it on the road with regular registration, none for antique/former military registration. No VIN inspection unless they request it for some reason. (they will ask for an inspection on non-17 digit VINs on a newer vehicle)

plasmacutter

great any member volunteering to be my uncle that lives in texas

I really do appreciate all the reply's. you guys that have done it are the experts,

I think it is a shame that civilians willing to invest money, a lot of money and time to restore pieces of american history

meet with such resistance and red tape in certain states

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a fellow in Texas who has restored several of these- if you brought it to him to fix up, you could likely legally get it titled here ,then export it to yourself in NJ. Its an extra step, but keeping things above board, apart from being a good idea, is worth the effort in the long run. No worries over "Imperial entanglements" later.

There is another SS member with a lot of experience with these, in another state, but I'll let him make his own input if he chooses to.

Of course, you could always just bring it to me and let it live with my V on the farm! (Fearfully underhanded attempt to undermine Jeepsinkers suggestion :smile: by using the sibling sympathy angle).

Cheers

Last edited:

plasmacutter

Thanks Jeepsinker for your generous offer i will sleep better knowing this truck has a place to go,

and thank you M813rc I know who you are talking about good idea. we also have a mutial friend in NY state who owns a v 100 that has been in movies
you and I spoke briefly back in Feb 2013, Hmmm on a farm once again thank all of you members for your suggestions keep them coming

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, he's a super good guy and a good friend! (The one in NY)

And yes, I owed you a call back and failed to make it, sorry. The first half of 2013 was not a good time for me, I was taking care of my mum while she was dying, so lost track of a lot of things I would normally have been better about taking care of.
I'll be glad to talk to you anytime and offer any assistance in the restoration.

Cheers

datadawg

One thing you should look into... the lien sale statute in NJ. Basically, if you have provided storage for a motor vehicle (or any property), and your charges are unpaid, you can perform a lien sale per statute and petition the DMV for a certificate of title. You may have to publish notice of sale and I would even go as far as get a lawyer and have lawyer send certified letter of intent of sale to some governmental agency (not sure where, but maybe DOJ or US Army). Then if they come to you, trying to take it away, you can defend yourself on basis of legally having severed whatever ownership rights they had. Now if ownership or possession is a criminal offense, the lien sale won't help you.

We had purchased defaulted lease portfolios from failed banks and several of the leased cars were lost like this in lien sales. I was pissed in a couple cases and chased the sellers.... long story short, you spend $15K on legal fees, don't get anywhere. It's all state law driven, so if you are in NJ, first research lien sale statutes. There could be several, so make sure you focus on the right one (not for instance on self storage liens, but on vehicle liens). This may be totally off base, but could work, so throwing it out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks