• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think it is time to start Drinking !!!

Superdave

This fall I took my M35A2 on a 1600 mile road trip with the Western command Military Club out of Vancouver BC. On the trip I started to loose antifreeze and the oil fill cap was starting to plug up with a light sludge. Over the trip I added about 6 gallons of water to it until I got it home. I had a suspicion of what happened as my friends truck did the same thing. I removed the oil pan and pressured up the rad to find out what I all ready knew :cry:. # 6 cylinder was cracked behind the liner about 1 inch down and 6" around :-x. I talked with the guy I had purchased the truck from and asked him if he had a good spare block as mine was cracked and he said he had one that was partially stripped when he got it so the next trip at the end of September I drove out (1300 mile round trip) to a function they had and picked up the motor and brought it home. The next day I stripped the engine down only to fond a 6" long vertical crack in #4 cylinder :x. This was getting frustrating and I then pulled my motor out to strip it down to see what the rest of it was like. I could not get #5 liner out as it was seized in and #4 was cracked as well and the lifters were in poor shape as some of the main and rod bearings:cry::cry:.

I called the guy back to tell him that the motor I got from him was no good and wanted to see if he had another one?? He said that he had one that he installed but made a growing noise when he fired it up in a truck and pulled it out because of it. I thought as long as the block was good it would be fine. It was a while before I got to go out again ( another 1300 mile road trip) and I picked it up last weekend. I pulled the pan on it today to find out what the noise was ( who ever rebuilt the motor did not install the bolts from the oil pump to the main cap, the only bolts holding it up was the pickup bolts). Apon further inspection I found that #4 rod bearing was toast and #3 main bearing has spun in the block and I do not know if it can be fixed. This is motor #3 and I still do not have a good one to even make one out of the 3 of them. I think I will start to take up DRINKING as I am starting to loose the fun in this truck.

goldneagle

Sorry to hear about your trouble! I think the issue is to stop getting engines from that particular source. I would have looked for another source after the 2nd engine was found to be in bad shape. Maybe you need to get one from one of our members that will sell or donate a good block to help you out.

GoHot229

God, you'v got to be a brave soul to do these 13oo mile drives up there in the Great North, Wow, I'v been up and down the Western road to Tok junction, and theres plenty of scenery, to be sure whoooo, boy if you broke it would mabe be hours to just get a ride to a phone, let alone fix something.
On another note: the sleeves are still readily available.......... but you knew that?

Superdave

Sorry to hear about your trouble! I think the issue is to stop getting engines from that particular source. I would have looked for another source after the 2nd engine was found to be in bad shape. Maybe you need to get one from one of our members that will sell or donate a good block to help you out.

Just to clarify that the guy I purchased the truck from is a good friend and has given the engines to me for no charge. I guess I am just having bad luck right now but there is no other game in town right now as there are very few of the M35A2 trucks up here to source parts from and engine and trany parts are just too expensive to get shipped up from across the border.

Has anyone had a block sleeved before, as the crack on one block might be repaired if the block was machined and sleeved to accept the piston/sleeve Assembly????

tm america

there a guy in wis. that had a bunch of m135-211 parts look him up alpha heaven.i know he had engines and were pretty cheap not sure what shipping would be or if it would be easier for you to pick it up

jollyroger

Sounds like a frustrating situation. I hate it when that happens. There are a lot of good sources for parts and supplies here. Have you thought about buying a parts truck and having it shipped up? I know you are trying to fix it on the cheap but experience shows that cheap with a MF motor costs you more, time, effort and frustration in the end. I like to find a deal but I also don't like to waste my time. You will come through in the end. The guys here will be able to help.;-)

kc5mzd

If you can find one I don't think sleeves are very expensive. Freight shouldn't be a problem for just a sleeve either. A engine with a sleeve is just as good as any other. They take out the old cylender and press in the sleeve. Its just as strong - probably better because there wont be any rust buildup on the water jacket side.

Scarecrow1

Dude Your luck is like mine BAD LOL But taking up drinking in the long run will cost you so much more than the whole darn truck cost . Don't add to your problems take a breath and handle one thing at a time you will get through it some how . Prayers don't hurt either . Mine just went out to you .....;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks