• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IA to OH and Back

Danger Ranger

I think this is the right forum for this...

I will be heading home from school for Thanksgiving Break in 2 weeks. This is from Ames, IA to NorthEast Ohio. I will have a limited amount of room if anyone needs anything taken out east.

I am driving a Jeep Cherokee, so when I say limited, I am talking smaller parts and such. A couple bucks in gas money will get whatever you got out there.

A week later I will be coming back to Iowa....
Same deal. Limited space, I will take it to Ames.
I would rather not be going out of the way to deliver, but pickup could be arranged near I-80.

On both parts of the trip, I am taking I-80 straight from DesMoines to Mantua, and vice-versa. 700 miles and one right turn...

Let me know if you need anything, I will bump this up closer to the trip.

Danger Ranger

OK, there will be an identical trip to this one in three weeks time. If anyone needs any parts moved to OH from IA or somewhere along the way, let me know and we can work something out.
The return trip here is 3 weeks after the first leg. That is the trip back to Iowa.

Same deal: Jeep Cherokee, some space, couple bucks to help with gas money, all on I-80 for the most part.

Just thought I'd let yall know.

Tplane37

Where at in Northeast Ohio are you and do you have a 2" receiver hitch on your Jeep? I have a receivers with the right ball on them of different drops for the trailer. I have an empty Car trailer that weighs in at 1,682 lbs curb weight (look in my post on the 1952 XM 211 Dump, its in the pictures on the first page) that could use a trip to Illinois. It's not time sensitive at the moment, but could be convenient if you have someone wanting you to drag back something that won't fit in your Jeep. I would need to know by about noon tomorrow (Eastern Time) if you want to drag it along to help some other folks out with it while your in the area (don't have to pick it up tomorrow, but I am heading out tomorrow so I will need to ensure everything is set up for you before I go). The Camaro I am driving home simply won't handle the trailer! LOL.

The offer is open, I can pick it up in the Spring when I come back for everything else. But figured I'd offer if it's needed.

Danger Ranger

I am headed back somewhere near the 6th of January. This will be my return to IA again for the next school semester. Same thing as before, Jeep cherokee, a bit of space for parts I can fit inside and a tiny fee will get whatever to somewhere near I-80. I know my trip is not very flexible but I am willing to help as long as I have notice ahead of time.

Tplane: My Jeep has the smaller hitch (1.25") and I may be able to take your trailer....maybe. Let me check on some stuff and see how this will go. I will get back to you. In the meantime, can you send me some dimensions of the trailer? thanks.

Tplane37

It's 8' 2" between the tires, open wheel.. I think its a 16 foot deck from the wheel stops to the end. I know I can haul an extended cab long bed dually on it without removing the stops, but have to unbolt the stops to haul a crew cab long bed. It has a 4' wide open center.

When I need a full floor, I put down 2 1/2 4x8 sheets of ply wood, overlapping lengthwise to "lock" them in to each other. It has about a 4-5 ft tounge in front of the stops. There are plate mounts on the tounge that let you put a standard pallet in front of the wheel stops without interfering with turning.

I have hauled 10,200 lbs local with it (like I mentioned before, I did use it as a dolly to haul the deuce, but that was a little much). I have hauled a standard cab long bed 4x4 on it while being pulled by a 4x4 S-10 Blazer. If you have the inline 6 in your Jeep, that's about as much weight at I would go with it. (About 5,000 lbs.).

It is wired for a flat 4 pin, but I have a 4 to 7 Pin adapter for it. It does not have brakes. It needs a 2 5/16" ball (1" shank). You may be hard pressed to find a receiver for that size ball. It always tows straight, but if its empty, its a rough ride. If its loaded, you'll forget its there. When you load it, center your weight over the forward tandem or a hair behind it.

She's a good trailer, but if you don't have a load for her, don't worry about it. She'll beat you up on the trip empty.

Danger Ranger

No, so far I do not have a trip. I have experience with Dad's 18' car hauler (solid deck) but haven't really towed anything with the Jeep. Empty trailer would probably be as much as I would tow. Definitely would not load it, that would be suicide. Jeep only weighs 4200 loaded, or close (weighed it and cannot remember exact).

Tplane37

Don't worry about it. It was a thought to try and help out. I think it would be more hassle for you than its worth. I'll need it this Spring for the move anyway. I was just figuring on bringing it back with me from Illinois when I came back to Ohio in the spring. Like I said, if you don't have a load on it, you'd probably never speak to me again after the trip. LOL.

Tplane37

Was there anything on your return trip that you couldn't haul with your Jeep? I'm back in Ohio for about a week, headed back to IL the weekend of Feb. 9-10... And I'm empty, thanks to my other half selling our rusted out, beat up property truck while I was already on my way!

I bought that red dually I was talking about and drove it out to Ohio to get my trailer. Right now, all I have to put in the bed is my 3.73 14 bolt and a couple small tools boxes. The rest of the truck is empty, and the trailer is empty.

I started a thread for the trip if you could pass the word. Really just trying to cover fuel for the trip and a little bit towards the maintenance for the truck. Not charging for my time unless I have to hand winch something on the trailer.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?p=1304739

Danger Ranger

Oops, I kinda forgot about this thread.

^ Thats kinda what I was doing, just looking to get some fuel money. Nope, I never had anyone contact me, so I never hauled anything.

I am in Iowa now, and dont know for sure when I will head to Ohio again. I get out of school in early May and may stay out here. Not sure yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks