• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IBC Tote Setup for generator fuel supply?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Looking to use a 275 gallon IBC tote for feeding my 802A.

Am I missing a thread that details the best way to do this? The search term "ibc" is too short for the search function. So far I know I need to modify a 6" IBC top cap to include a JIC adapter. I am seeing conflicting information on the proper size for the aux hose. Is it JIC -5 or JIC 5/16? I have a hose here but no way to identify the proper size of the JIC connector. Then comes the siphon, it should be one piece copper, but what diameter is acceptable? Lastly, what sort of filter should be on the end of the siphon? Thanks!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking to use a 275 gallon IBC tote for feeding my 802A.

Am I missing a thread that details the best way to do this? The search term "ibc" is too short for the search function. So far I know I need to modify a 6" IBC top cap to include a JIC adapter. I am seeing conflicting information on the proper size for the aux hose. Is it JIC -5 or JIC 5/16? I have a hose here but no way to identify the proper size of the JIC connector. Then comes the siphon, it should be one piece copper, but what diameter is acceptable? Lastly, what sort of filter should be on the end of the siphon? Thanks!
I don't know what a ibc is but I just did the line to my aux fuel a few weeks ago...JIC size was 6 if I remember right...I got it from my local hydraulics company, had a line made up to go right on. I took the cap that covers the aux line when not in use to the store. I'm not sure florida has heating oil but I used 2 275 gallon tanks to hold the fuel and ran the line out of the bottom of it through a filter then to the set. I used a basic filter set up from a heating oil system...very simple and inexpensive...all lines I made are 3/8 inner diameter with a coated steel line from the tank to the set.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not use an IBC because of algae reasons. Sunlight helps algae bloom, and ULSD sucks for keeping the microbes in diesel at bay (sulfur did have a purpose!).

nextalcupfan

I bought a JIC 5/16 fitting, so far I've only screwed it on to make sure the threads match up so I couldn't tell you if it will leak or not.

Zed254

23 days of run time on one tank of fuel: do you have 3 week outages? Treated diesel gets old and you need to change it out every couple years. I just changed out my 50 gallon tank a few weeks ago and I still have some to burn off in my truck. LITD has a good point: cover the tank if you go this route.

Nylon is a good dip tube material: cut it shorter than bottom of tank so debris stays in tank. JIC 5/16 is what I used for my aux fuel tank fittings. Ebay has decent filters......https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Racor-660R-RAC-01-660R10-Fuel-Water-Separator-10-Micron-w-Heater-Option/233576190534?epid=1124977717&hash=item366239d246:g:hIkAAOSwhQlerH0p

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks for all the replies! Tank will be in a steel pit building in climate control and no sunlight so algae shouldn't be an issue. Given current political instabilities I will take as long of a runtime as I can get just in case. I have been reading on treatments that can be used to give diesel a decent lifespan, and I do plan on monthly running tests which should help burn some fuel. Got all the parts ordered. Have several diesel vehicles and machines to help use some too if age becomes a concern.

Now I am am looking at transfer switches. 50 amp rv plug and panel interlock, or hard wire to a manual transfer switch?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the replies! Tank will be in a steel pit building in climate control and no sunlight so algae shouldn't be an issue. Given current political instabilities I will take as long of a runtime as I can get just in case. I have been reading on treatments that can be used to give diesel a decent lifespan, and I do plan on monthly running tests which should help burn some fuel. Got all the parts ordered. Have several diesel vehicles and machines to help use some too if age becomes a concern.

Now I am am looking at transfer switches. 50 amp rv plug and panel interlock, or hard wire to a manual transfer switch?
The hook up is pretty much up to the code of where you are...I did the entire house setup with a manual switch outside...that means I needed a 200 amp switch since the house is setup for a 200 amp service and had to match even though I'm only pushing 52 amps at 220...I think the 802 does 37 amps at 220...the reason I went with 220 setting is the wire from the genset to the house could be a smaller gauge than if I went with 110. The camper wire with the fuse lockout is a nice setup too...most do a subpanel system that will be powered by the genset when the lock out is switched...it powers only what the genset can do or necessary items...really though code is king so whatever that is down there is how it will be done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for general reference IBC stands for Intermediate Bulk Container, a plastic 275 to 325 square container with a steel cage surrounding it, used to move non-petroleum liquids for industrial or farm purposes. They generally last 2-3 years outdoors and up to 5 years stored indoors. Most can be reused several times. All have a date of manufacture and cannot be used commercially after their end-of-life date. Because of that, they are sold generally for less than $100 each when no longer commercially usable.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would not use an IBC because of algae reasons. Sunlight helps algae bloom, and ULSD sucks for keeping the microbes in diesel at bay (sulfur did have a purpose!).
I had this problem with water. I have 3 IBC's full of water. In the summer they stank like the north bound end of a south bound goat. So I painted them black. End of problem. BUT, if I was going to use something to store fuel in, a IBC would not be on my list. For all the reasons above, and more. The IBC is THE Euro norm. 1000 liters.

Guyfang

Staff member

Check out this new thread. Now HERE is my all time favorite fuel tank. The good old 600 gal fuel pod. I attached the TM for the Tank and Pump unit, that uses two 600 gal tanks, in the thread. These are tanks to last 1000 years.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Check out this new thread. Now HERE is my all time favorite fuel tank. The good old 600 gal fuel pod. I attached the TM for the Tank and Pump unit, that uses two 600 gal tanks, in the thread. These are tanks to last 1000 years.
I have seen 2 of these very recently for sale...I was thinking of getting one to add to my stash of fuel!! Wish the diesel was .89 a gallon still.

Jeepadict

Does this go with the tanks?

Skid Mounted Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump A Frame Station Military Grade

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Of course it goes with the tanks. That TPU, (Tank and Pump Unit) is missing the engine and pump unit. So if it is of interest to you, keep that in mind. If you go to the Tank thread, you will see the TM I uploaded for the TPU. Also be advised there are old and new TPU's, and there are some differences. If anyone is really interested, I can probably dig up all the TM's and info.

The TPU shown above is a "newer" model. It may have had an electric, (24 VDC) driven pump. I would have to look. So if you are interested, say something.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own two of those tanks, one is at Ferro's and the other is on loan to the club to store bulk fuel in. The one at Ferro's is coming home this spring to be placed alongside my generator shed. 55 gallons in the aux tank and another 600 in the tertiary pod tank should get me almost a month of continuous power out of the MEP-003A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks