• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IbisTek Tire Retainer (Carrier)

Gamble

Does anyone know if the IbisTek tire retainer will accommodate an after market wheel provided the bore size is similar?

Are there any limitations with this tire carrier working with a larger tire size (40 in)?

Action

Looking at the bolts on the face of these things it doesn't look promising for aftermarket wheels. I suppose it could be modified like anything else.
Tire size becomes an issue when it blocks the ratcheting lever. I can measure mine tomorroe.

springer1981

Size is definitely an issue. I use mine with a 37" BF Goodrich and that is already thick enough to interfere with function.
I'm not sure I follow you. The BFG is the same size as the stock tire, both are 37 x 12.5. I have the Rhino tire carrier and BFG 37 x 12.5 and nothing interferes at all.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I'm not sure I follow you. The BFG is the same size as the stock tire, both are 37 x 12.5. I have the Rhino tire carrier and BFG 37 x 12.5 and nothing interferes at all.
Big hands and gloves with 37's gets a little close to the tire when swinging the ratchet handle. (very doable)

My free guess is those bad boy 40's or larger could be an issues to at least get it lifted up and out of the lower retainer/ saddle. Once up ??? guess one could ratchet it down from the back side when swung out.

Big tires, Big PITA. What's a guy to do? CAMO

Action

Eyeballing it shows 19" from center of hub to just before the ratchet handle bracket.
And maybe 9" from the surface of the wheel mount until the tire would rub the ratchet (if bigger than 38" tire).

here is a good shot of where the ratchet lever is compare to the hub...
1623513060565.png

These next 2 show how close a stock 37 x 12.50 x 16.5 tire is to the ratchet lever....
1623513122162.png

1623513140538.png

And as 86humv pointed out, this is not an ibis tek carrier.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you fold it out, can't you access the ratchet mechanism from the backside, or am I missing something?
Sorry, never seen one in person so not sure if it would interfere somehow.

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
if you fold it out, can't you access the ratchet mechanism from the backside, or am I missing something?
You can access it from the other side, but you need to use the ratchet to take it up about 1/4” to get over the catch on the bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M1165A1

The tread is deeper towards the side on the BFG and as a result I have to stow the wrench/jack level thingee off the rack as it won't fit anymore.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Like I noted in post #9, one has to get it up and out of the lower latching saddle. That's would be the heavy hard part with a bigger tire.

Only flat on the bottom, CAMO

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you all for the guidance. Here is the rim and tire that would be loaded onto the carrier.

View attachment 838874View attachment 838875

Do we think there would be clearance to lower the tire for use or even get it on?
I can't answer the question that you asked - but those wheels on that car would be a real "hoot".
Yeah, I know you didn't ask that either.
Made me laugh though, so it had value :cool:

Action

The 3rd pic in post #10. See the ratchet next to the tire at about the 4 o'clock position? Now move the edge of the tire 1 1/2" - 2" closer to the lever. (1/2 of 40-37 or 36.5). I think you will hit it or pass it. But, that is just my opinion. I don't know for sure...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks