• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If it fits, it ships.......

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a couple containers for a sorta local to me SSer today at Camp Pendleton.

I checked in at DRMO to get a badge and met up with a recently retired shipmate from the NIMITZ. Needless to say the customer service there was over the top outstanding and we took a few minutes to catch up since we both retired.

We got down to GL right at 0700 and we only waited a few seconds for the guy in charge to issue instructions to our forklift driver...Everyone was pleasant and friendly. We were out of the office and loaded so fast I didn't have a chance to get anyones name. The forklift driver was sure both containers wouldn't fit, but I had already run the numbers before we came. He did everything I asked on the forklift and as soon as he had our signature he was gone, leaving us alone to tie down. That might be my only complaint, since this could have allowed a thief to load up, but maybe he left us because of my retired Navy hat.

It was an easy 120 mile ride up I5 to make the drop and then back home to enjoy retirement some more. Total RT was about 250 miles, 120 with the boxes.

I had 8 straps on the load and it rode easy the whole way. Total weight was only 600 pounds (300 each) so I don't think I was overloaded.

Fun morning. I like smooth pick ups at GL.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Dug, What was the fuel usage going there compared to the fuel usage on the trip back loaded..? Did the boxes act like a sail..?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Dug, What was the fuel usage going there compared to the fuel usage on the trip back loaded..? Did the boxes act like a sail..?
I didn't pay too close attention to the fuel usage since it was a pretty short trip, but I didn't notice anything excessive. To be honest I couldn't tell they were there unless I looked in the mirror.

I did keep it at the speed limit and out of the fast lane. I figure a large load like that running fast or all the way to the left will draw unwanted CHP attention. Running slower probably helped my fuel usage more than running empty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks