• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition switch locking up

ABN173

Ok I searched for this one and found threads about electrical problems, my issue seems to be mechanical. Today when I went to drive home from work I tried for like 20 minutes before the switch would actually turn/rotate. I tried the normal stuff, such as jiggling the steering wheel adjusting the key position. Once I got home I shut the engine off and again tried to restart and had the same problem. I'm thinking I will try some graphite powder and a different key maybe? Anyone else have this problem?

Dale

Last edited:

ida34

I think you will find that your rack mechanism inside the upper column is bad. The first thing I would do is take off the actual switch which is lower on the column under the dash. Then try to turn the key. If it turns fine then the switch is bad. If it still hangs pull the lock cylinder out and see if it turns outside the column. This will test if the key tumblers are hanging or not. While it is out put a screw driver in the void left by the cylinder being out and attempt to activate the switch. Basically you have the key mechanism, the mechanism inside the upper column which has a rack to translate the rotation of the lock cylinder into straight back and forth motion, a rod to connect the rack to the switch, and the switch.

ida34

I would say all that stuff should take no longer than an hour or so to check. If you find the rack is bad then you would have to disassemble the column to get it fixed and that would be the only thing that would take a real long time. Good luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks