• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

illustrated how to swap crankshaft balancers. (with pics)

jwaller

as some of you may have read my crank balancer separated under load and needed to be replaced. I will try my best to narrate.

turns out that there are 2 possible balancers that will fit the multifuel. and of course the one I ordered from memphis was the wrong one. so I pulled the one off my spare motor and it was like the new one but had the pulley I needed.

radiator has to come out, as well as the grill guard. belts come off and time to break loose that huge nut.

the nut on the crank is a 1 5/8 and should be torqued to 250ft lbs. I took my 3/4 drive and 4 ft of pry bar to get it loose.

you might also notice the lockplate that is now on the crank bolt. my original balancer did not have this plate.

the orig balancer has the pulley mounted to the balancer. the other one is a 2 piece design with pulleys bolted to the balancer.

the green one is the replacement.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: illustrated how to swap crankshaft balancers. (with pic

Which one is the better of the two? Mine has the one on the left. It's built like it has a shield of sorts to cover the rubber between the inner and outer rings. BTW, nice narritive and pics. Looks like it was pretty easy.

jwaller

the wrong one from memphis is the same as the one on the left(not what I originally had) but did not come with the pulley. I simply chose to install the complete assm(from donor) and not disturb what I had.

I will send theirs back monday.

it turns out it was much easier than I had thought. I was really wondering if I had the means to loosen the center nut, but leverage is your friend. :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks