• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection Pump Read the Manual

Jakelc15

That's right, read the damn manual. It will save you alot of headaches.
Here's what happened,
I forgot, ever forget? It happened to me!
Got in my Deuce one morning headed for work. Just like every other morning for the past 2 years. Started up and ran fine. Was running on 100 % hydraulic oil. Let it run a few minutes and warm up then was off to work. So I thought. Got almost a half mile and it lost all power then shut off. So I drifted to the side of the car lined road and sat there a minute. Tried to restart it with no luck. I'm sitting in the middle of the road, so I decide to push it farther up the road to the space were there are no cars parked on the curb. I tried, I'm 150 lbs. and the truck is 14,000 lbs. The truck won. I got it just far enough to block the entrance to an apartment complex. Did I mention it is raining cats and dogs. So I'm soaked. By this time people are leaving for work and kids are walking to their bus stop.
The truck seemed to want to roll backwards better so I pushed it, by hand, back from in front of the apartment entrance. I decide to push it farther down the road to where there are no cars on the curb. I get out my 4 foot prybar and lift on the lugs of the tire on the front rear axle. Turnig the tire was the easiest way to get the truck to move. I got it all the way back near my house and left it on the side of the road. Did I mention it's raining?
Called out of work and stayed inside for a few hours. the rain finally let up and i went out to see if i could find out what was wrong with it.
Two days later narrowed it down to the injection pump head. Ordered a new one and a set of injector nozzles. I pulled the ip head and waited for the new one in the mail. I got the bright idea to push the truck from where I left it back to in front of my house. The truck was on a slight hill so it would roll the direction I wanted it to. But the parking brake would not release to roll backwards. So I put it in gear and bumped the starter, that let the spring return the brake shoe and I began to roll towards my steet. My cousin and I busted our ars to get it backed in where I wanted it.
A few days later I received the new ip head and nozzles. I really needed to get the truck running, It is my daily driver and the East Coast Convoy was coming up.
So I put the new injection pump head on and it started up, kinda rough, figured the fuel lines were still purging and then shut off when I let off the throttle. So I figured it was fixed and called it a day. Then when I tried to start it again it wouldn't. Used a little ether and it started but wouldn't idle. Stayed running if I kept it at about 1100 rpm's. Smoked 10 times as much as it use to and didn't have much power.
So I figured an injector was clogged or I blew the head gasket between 2 cylinders. It was clearly smoking from fuel. So I started it again with some ether and checked the temperature difference between cylinders as the engine heated up. All were within a few degrees but seemed a little colder than they should have been. The turbo only hit about 400 degrees and I shut it off. So the head gasket wasn't blown. And I preceded to pull the injectors. they looked normal also, none were wet and I could clearly see the holes in the tips.
I was really racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong with it.
Finally I READ THE MANUAL! And notice the ip head could be installed 180 degrees out of time. I had bumped the starter and didn't relize it was out because it had gone almost exactly 180 degrees.
Yeah, I'm kicking myself there! :oops: I didn't have time to take it for a test drive but I hope to drive it to work tomorrow. Aberdeen is only a day away. Cutting it alot closer than I wanted to. Load up tomorrow and convoy up Thursday!

I hope someone gets some good info out of this before they make the same mistake I did.

50shooter

If we ever meet, remind me not to shake your hand for fear of damage to mine. I'm 156lbs and pretty sure I couldn't push my deuce down a hill while in gear and running with a brick on the pedal. Glad to hear you got it back home safely.

One of lifes most frustrating things has to be a vehicle broke down in traffic and rain just adds to the fun.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Let it run a few minutes and warm up then was off to work. So I thought. Got almost a half mile and it lost all power then shut off. So I drifted to the side of the car lined road and sat there a minute. Tried to restart it with no luck."

Let us know what you find out about the cause of this failure. Stuck IP hydraulic head lunger?
Used oil as fuel may carry along micron size metal particles, which can (and will) jam the spring loaded plunger.

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
You gotta be the Hulk to push a deuce!!! I guess that is better than using a forklift to push one with the forks against the radiator!!! OUCH!!!!

Jakelc15

Glad there was no forklift around!
It looks like the plunger got stuck and broke the tang that engages the gear to the plunger.
But it still idles down under what it is set at sometimes. This morning it cut off and wouldn't start again.
About 30 minutes later it started and ran fine.
I owe Matt a steak dinner or something for waking him up early to come towbar me. It finally started while he was en route. Go figure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks