• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection Pump Stumble

RAYZER

So i just completed a 900 mile round trip with the deuce tractor with new head gaskets installed in between!
She has always run top notch with no fuel systems issues.
Primary filter was changed before the trip and normal fuel return splash in the tank so i don't believe any filters are clogged, i do run some filtered wmo.
After the head gaskets she ran great and was void of the issue that I'm now having.
About 150 miles into my trip back from Ga (pulling the Taj)
I made a pit stop and noticed that when completely letting off of the throttle, instead of stopping at 800 rpm's where the idle is set, she wants to stumble past and down to 400 or 500 rpm's and quickly bounce back to 800 rpm, sometimes after running hard shutting down completely, then having to pull the throttle cable out some to get her to start (when hot).
Otherwise she starts right up and idles normal, if i come down slow off the throttle, say from 1500 rpm there's no stumble.
I did set the idle screw up to 850 rpm and that seemed to help slightly with the stumble.
Pulled the IP side cover and fdc to have a look inside, nothing loose, off or broken in there, compared it to another pump i have and all looks and feels normal, no broken pieces in the bottom, no noticeable loss of performance.

Has anyone exsperiance this particular issue and can lend some insight?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are the beginning indications of a worn out HH.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It kinda sounds like a governor issue(from what I have read here on SS), but if you have a spare pump, I'd carry it with you. I take one with me where ever I go.

Jeepsinker

Mine used to do this from time to time. It usually clears up after changing the secondaries and just driving. Try mixing some more clean fuel in with the mix.... Like a lot more clean fuel. Pour in a couple quarts of xylene.

welldigger

Mine did the exact same thing. If I stayed on the throttle I had no problems. Push the clutch in to shift and it would surge. Took my ip off and had it rebuilt. Aside from it leaking everywhere a governor weight had broken off causing the surging.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It helps to stay on DH's good side!

No doubt! You couldn't have fixed your wrecker without him!

RAYZER

Pull a battery terminal if you haven't already so no one can accidentally hit the starter over and throw the engine out of time with the pump.
Absolutely, finding the right stroke is easy enough, but someone hitting the on switch would send fuel down the driveway!

RAYZER

So before starting the teardown I changed fuel filters resulting in no change, figured that.
Also pulled injectors and had them pop tested, all of them (two hole) were in perfect condition and popped at 3500 psi with no leakage!
So now the ip is coming off for further inspection and replaced with a different ip, possibly an lds ip!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks