• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing A Detroit 8v71 or 8v92 engine into a 2.5 ton or 5 ton M54A2

MudTruckDaddy

Hey everyone been looking at options and im wondering is the 8v71 or 8v92 series engine a drop in for military trucks. Will the stock 5 ton transmission hold up. There are plenty of HP mods and im not trying to go fast to be clear!!! But my idea is for a Gun Truck with Armour installment like in the Bug Out Vehicles like the MAB2 vehicle once sold to the public. Whats your thoughts guys. thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might squeeze a 6v71 or a 6v53 in a deuce , I don't think there is any chance of a 8 cylinder fitting
or the front suspension liking it .

MudTruckDaddy

You might squeeze a 6v71 or a 6v53 in a deuce , I don't think there is any chance of a 8 cylinder fitting
or the front suspension liking it .

what about the 5 ton suspension.

MudTruckDaddy

Detroit 8v71 Engine Dimensions
The 8v71 Non-Turbo Engine is 47 inches in length, 39 inches in width, and 51 inches in height. It weighs a little higher than 2,300 lbs. On the other hand, the 8v71 Turbo Engine is 50 inches in length, 40 inches in width, and 53 inches in height.

6v71 Detroit
54 inches long
The engine's compression ratio is 18.7:1 with a 4.250 inch bore and a 5.00 inch stroke. The engine weighs 2,185 lb (991 kg) and is 54 inches long, 29 inches wide and 41 inches tall.

Last edited:

MudTruckDaddy

The 8v71 Non-Turbo Engine is 47 inches in length, 39 inches in width, and 51 inches in height. It weighs a little higher than 2,300 lbs. On the other hand, the 8v71 Turbo Engine is 50 inches in length, 40 inches in width, and 53 inches in height
Also to be clear Im not worried about hood clearance. I need to know transmission hold up and weight on front end.

davidb56

The 8v71 Non-Turbo Engine is 47 inches in length, 39 inches in width, and 51 inches in height. It weighs a little higher than 2,300 lbs. On the other hand, the 8v71 Turbo Engine is 50 inches in length, 40 inches in width, and 53 inches in height.

6v71 Detroit
54 inches long
The engine's compression ratio is 18.7:1 with a 4.250 inch bore and a 5.00 inch stroke. The engine weighs 2,185 lb (991 kg) and is 54 inches long, 29 inches wide and 41 inches tall.
how can a engine with the same bore, but with 2 Less cylinders be longer.? OK I got it. 6V 71 is 41" L X 39"Wx 48"H. ..A dt466 would be my choice.

Last edited:

MudTruckDaddy

how can a engine with the same bore, but with 2 Less cylinders be longer.? OK I got it. 6V 71 is 41" L X 39"Wx 48"H. ..A dt466 would be my choice.
The Dt 466 was going to be my next choice. would like to see 300 Hp out of one if possible. just dont see a build sheet on one. with a good bosch P pump

87cr250r

The people with the knowledge are all probably dead by now but it wasn't unheard of for truckers to get a reliable 500hp from an inline 6-71.

The 2-stroke is a very long engine due to the air box.

rustystud

The people with the knowledge are all probably dead by now but it wasn't unheard of for truckers to get a reliable 500hp from an inline 6-71.

The 2-stroke is a very long engine due to the air box.
I worked on the "screaming Jimmies" in the late 1970's at IHC trucks in Tukwilla, WA.
You could increase horsepower, but it took more than just a tweek here and there.
The "Marine" engines could make 485 HP . The "485HP TIB " built by "Johnson and Towers" used lower compression pistons, longer stroke cams, (usually using the 12 valve heads too) and large Turbochargers with intercooler and large injectors and bypassed the blower at higher RPM. That's where you get the TIB from. Turbo, Intercooler, Bypass.
They didn't last as long as the 250 to 300 HP models though. Truckers did put this engine in their rigs though. That is the "independent" truckers did. The fleets never pushed their engines past 300HP.
Also, these engines could never pass state emissions. They blew smoke and dripped oil like nothing you've ever seen ! That is why they were all replaced by the 1980's for Hiway use. You try and use this engine today and you would have the State Patrol coming at you like you were a "Dunkin Donut" !!!!

87cr250r

I actually built a pair of 6-71 engines that met US EPA Tier 2 emissions requirements. Basically, they ground all the lift off the cams and then added a turbo to bring the power back. It was similar to EGR but all done in cylinder.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on the "screaming Jimmies" in the late 1970's at IHC trucks in Tukwilla, WA.
You could increase horsepower, but it took more than just a tweek here and there.
The "Marine" engines could make 485 HP . The "485HP TIB " built by "Johnson and Towers" used lower compression pistons, longer stroke cams, (usually using the 12 valve heads too) and large Turbochargers with intercooler and large injectors and bypassed the blower at higher RPM. That's where you get the TIB from. Turbo, Intercooler, Bypass.
They didn't last as long as the 250 to 300 HP models though. Truckers did put this engine in their rigs though. That is the "independent" truckers did. The fleets never pushed their engines past 300HP.
Also, these engines could never pass state emissions. They blew smoke and dripped oil like nothing you've ever seen ! That is why they were all replaced by the 1980's for Hiway use. You try and use this engine today and you would have the State Patrol coming at you like you were a "Dunkin Donut" !!!!
There are still concrete mixers on the road here running 6v71's . The old michigan specials run 12v71's.

MudTruckDaddy

Our Canadian Deuces ran with a 8.2 litre V8 Detroit diesel under the hood. Had no clearance issues with the steering box ( but ours were on the outside of the frame rail).
These are all the pics Ive found with the 8.2L V8 Detroit Diesel

Attachments

Last edited:

MrMikey4026

You must have worked for Husky?
Me too, and Emerson before.
I have two 6-71 TIB engines sitting here.
Mike

Attachments

rustystud

There are still concrete mixers on the road here running 6v71's . The old michigan specials run 12v71's.
Your state must not be as "anal" as Washington State is then. Anything smoking out here gets a ticket like right now. Also the newer "V" engines ran better for emissions then the old inline engines did.
I still have my set of gauges to run the rack on the 71's and 92's . I almost threw them away last week. I have been going through all my old tools sorting out what to keep and came across them. Giving them away to a good guy who is in his thirty's and could possibly use them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks