• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Pertronix MV-161A

I have purchased a MV-161A for my M37 but still have questions about installing it
1 The instructions say to hook the wires to the red Positive and black negative of the coils it does say I can lengthen the wire but still confused So do I have 2 wires on the positive of the coil?

2 How do I index the plate in the rotor? The original has the tab that indexes it but the MV-161A has no tab.

3 Any pictures would be helpful

Thanks to knowledge that I can receive from this website

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did the MV-161A on my M37. Very easy to install just put it on and set the timing.
1. Just hook the two leads to the coil, red + and black - no need to lengthen them.
2. The part that goes on the rotor shift does have flat spaces on it.
3. Sorry I did not take any pics.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the improvement after install? Did you have to change the stock plug wires?
I was having problems with the condensers going out all the time. Fixed that problem and I think it does run better with the MV-161A.
No new plug wires.

OutpostM37

Hope this helps.
Just a note on the Pertronix. My 161A unit came with the Hall effect sensor rivets slightly loose. Called Pertronix, the tech said to peen the rivets to tighten the sensor to the base plate. This is on a 230 flat head 6 cylinder M37 vehicle.
If needed, I also have the testing procedure to verify that the Hall effect sensor is operating properly.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 8.15.19 AM.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks