• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new primary filter

Jesse6325

I hope to install a Racor 500 fg primary filter on the deuce this weekend. I have a10 micron element for it and I intend to put it right above the fuel tank.
Has anybody else done something like this? Anything I should watch for?
I did a thread search and didn't find much.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
10 mic is less than the secondarys. I'd go with a 20 or 25. I think stock is 40ish. Do you have a new fuel tank on the truck?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I have been using a Racor primary fuel filter/water separator for the multifuel engine in my 8x8 for several years now. It's 30 micron and heated... It's nice to be able to drop a new cartridge in from the top when needed and the transparent housing shows what's trapped in it.
This particular filter is used on the HEMTT trucks, btw.

Attachments

Jesse6325

Gimpy, I had a choice between 2, 10, and 30 micron and went with the 10 figuring that filters were cheaper and not near as big a pain in the rear to change as the IP is.
I still have the stock secondarys on it. Hoping to change them out to another Racor product eventually.
My tank is pretty clean (Well,, exept for the the time I dumped about 5 gals of WMO in it straight from the engine, Never claimed to be the sharpest crayon).

Bill W

The 500 will be a little busy for your application, a 900 or 1000 series would be better suited for these trucks as far as handling flow rate. I would use the 30mic (P) filter

Jesse6325

You are probably right, Unfortunatly I already have the 500 FG. (got it cheap) Maybe I'll do some digging and make a secondary out of it. Only thing I see there though is that I think the secondarys run about 60 PSI and the FG is only rated for about 30.

lawdog1623

i used westfolks spin on type kits. I installed all three yesterday. The kits consisted of secondary fuel, primary fuel, and oil filters. They were quite easy and i love looking at new parts on my engine.

Jesse6325

Yeah, Also kicking the idea of just using spin on adapters for the secondaries.
I like the idea of relocating the primary altogether though. Never have liked where it's at.

Katahdin

Not using anything with a bowl but with westfolk's primary kit I use a Baldwin BF1259, 12 is the absolute micron rating. 500 miles so far so good with waste oils mixed in. Its a tall filter, 9.5 inches, so theoretically it'll take longer to clog but I'll probably change it annually. I like the downward spout so you can flush it with the pump running and not get drenched...ask me how I know.

After this filter I'm using Westfolk's secondary kit with a single NAPA 6 micron filter.

Haveittoplease

Lawdog, I see you own a M109a3 so tell Me. As I am proud owner of a M109a? either 2 or 3 my question is just that. I was told I have a M109a3 but I have read that the a3 has the Continetal engine and an automatic transmission. Mine, from the early 70s has the 5-speed and a White engine with the D turbo.....So its an a2 or an a3? TY in advance

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Lawdog, I see you own a M109a3 so tell Me. As I am proud owner of a M109a? either 2 or 3 my question is just that. I was told I have a M109a3 but I have read that the a3 has the Continetal engine and an automatic transmission. Mine, from the early 70s has the 5-speed and a White engine with the D turbo.....So its an a2 or an a3? TY in advance
Not sure what this has to do with filters, but the m35a3 has a cat and auto, the 109a3 is still a multi with a 5sp, think the 109a4 has the cat and suto

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks