• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insulated Softtop Feedback

M371954

I am researching and considering the Artic Insulated Softtop for my M1123 which I am converting to a 4 man set up. I live in eastern NC and this unit doesn't have AC. I'm not as concerned about AC as My M37 doesn't have it either, but it does get hot in the summer :). Has anyone opted for the insulated top and does it help keep the HMMWV cooler in the summer? Thanks in advance. Markus

M371954

Wouldn't it also hold heat in? Like when you get in a car after work that has been sitting in the sun all day....
Great point, but my thought is all vehicles do when parked. I was theorizing that radiant heat from the sun will not just bake the driver head from above when driving etc since the top is insulated. That was my thoughts anyways.

DREDnot

All the tops are insulated somewhat. I dont feel the heat radiating through to my head like my jeeps do.
That arctic top has more and different insulation.
I would like to try a white arctic top and curtain to see how much cooler it is compared to the stock camo top

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll second this, there is enough insulation in the top that I've never felt any radiating down at me.
But I also have a sheet of FRP under the soft top to keep it from pooling water, as well as the camouflage storage rack on top of that (2 door cab)

When driving an A1 truck in the military I got more heat up through the engine/transmission tunnel than I did from the roof. Not as bad with my M1123, but there is still so much heat from the tunnel area that adding anything to the roof is probably a waste of effort.

M371954

I'll second this, there is enough insulation in the top that I've never felt any radiating down at me.
But I also have a sheet of FRP under the soft top to keep it from pooling water, as well as the camouflage storage rack on top of that (2 door cab)

When driving an A1 truck in the military I got more heat up through the engine/transmission tunnel than I did from the roof. Not as bad with my M1123, but there is still so much heat from the tunnel area that adding anything to the roof is probably a waste of effort.
Agreed, and never under estimate the heat from the trans tunnel.... my M37 has no insulation below and you can feel the heat in the summer. The new (new to me) M1123 should be a bit better with the insulation on the floors and tunnel walls. Therefor the root of the question.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, and never under estimate the heat from the trans tunnel.... my M37 has no insulation below and you can feel the heat in the summer. The new (new to me) M1123 should be a bit better with the insulation on the floors and tunnel walls. Therefor the root of the question.
well, your right leg won't get burns on it anymore, but on top of the tunnel you can still heat up a meal on a longer drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks