• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

intermittant wiper conversion

richingalveston

I am trying to diagnose my wiper problem. I have a new intermittant module (ac delco) and my switch is new (LMC)
I have plugged in two different motors and both act the same. They appear to work on low only (when the switch is on high) and do not park. Any other switch location does nothing. The spay function works, I have tested that with meter.

both the motors are old. but since both do the same thing, i am thinking it might be the switch. I have checked the wires to the wiring diagram and they are appear to be wired correctly.

I have had a ton of brand new bad parts so i don't trust any thing out of the box anymore. Is there a way to test the motors. I can read everything in the diagrams except the switch layout. there is only one power connection to the motor and one to the washer pump (white wire) all other wires appear to be a connection to ground through the switch.

Any advice is appreciated. I plan to get a new motor and no one has one with the built in pump in stock so it looks like I will have to get a pump and new reservoir since it appears the pump mounts in the reservoir.

However I am wondering if my new switch or module is a problem also.

Thanks
Rich

Barrman

I got almost the same thing going on with the Cowdog. I had working intermittent with the intermittent switch installed and the GM module plugged in. Of course, I had to go through I think 4 modules to get one that worked at intermittent. Then all was well for a while. Now, I turn on the wipers and sometimes they work just fine. Sometimes they move a hair and freeze up. Sometimes they freeze somewhere on the glass if I changed from intermittent to low or just turn them off.

I replaced the motor with one from O'Reilly's and it worked correct once before the same thing happened again. I just haven't driven in the rain until I have time to mess with it.

Lots of guys on CK5 add ground straps from the motor to the body and claim it cures all your issues. I put a jumper wire on and got no different results.

Speaking of grounds. The entire wiper motor and washer system work off of a switched ground. The motor and washer pump have 12 volts anytime the key is on. The switch on the column is just turning off and on the ground. Keep that in mind when working on it. You have to think a little backwards, but not all the way backwards.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No CUCV I have ever been in (3 of my own, and around 8 belonging to others) would park the wipers, all would stop wherever they were when you turned off the switch. :)

Cheers

richingalveston

i am going to buy a new motor and with a test light start testing the module. from what i can see you just need to connect a ground to each of the input wires on the module and see what you get. each connection is a different setting. you can also test the switch to see which switch settings work by using a meter and seeing if each setting on the switch connects to ground.

it is strange that the module can work without any power to it. how it can pulse the ground on and off when no power is on the module.

If ground controls the on off of the motor then I can see why the motor is mounted on rubber washers. I would think a ground strap would cause it not to work right instead of fixing the problem.

Thanks for the reply's I will post my test results.
Rich

319cssb

y
No CUCV I have ever been in (3 of my own, and around 8 belonging to others) would park the wipers, all would stop wherever they were when you turned off the switch. :)

Cheers
all of my cucv had it park (6) only the m1028 I currently have doesnt. And it's irritating AF

richingalveston

I ordered a motor today. At this time no one (local parts store or rock auto) has the motor with the washer pump so I will have to get a separate pump. They had to get it from another store so I pick it up tomorrow.
wont be able to work on it again until Sunday night

Barrman

I used a washer tank from a 1988 GMT 400 truck. Bolted up on the inner fender drivers side. It has the pump in the bottom. Just short jumper wires needed to connect the stock plug to the motor.

cucvrus

Oh Joy. I would like to see a step by step illustrated tutorial on that installation. I tried it twice on 2 scrap steering columns and found out for $50. I could buy a used column at a YOUPULLIT. That was easier. The price of the switch and the cost of the labor to install far outweighs the aggravation. Do they even out line this wiper switch installation in a TM? Not saying it can't be done but that is one expensive switch and one real job to do. I would rather pull the engine and reinstall it. Good Luck.

Barrman

I agree. I did a column swap instead of trying to figure out which of the many discontinued and very expensive switches that then needed to be installed in that nightmare procedure.

cucvrus

I remember that the steering column in the GM vehicles was virtually unchanged from when it was introduced in 1969. My neighbor bought a 1969 Camaro and his wife had a Nova the same year. It was strange to see the keys hanging on side of the column. Of course the wiper switch/dimmer switch did not get added to the turn stalk till 1984. At that point I was still working in the GM shop and we had a few that had the smart stalk as GM referred to it that were vandalized and broken off. I failed at trying to fix them and the best mechanic in the shop took over 8 hours to do the first one. I think flat rate paid about 1.5 back then. He never did get it back down below 4 hours. I tried on CUCV columns on my work bench and tossed them in the scrap pile. I am sure it can be done but I never felt the need to perfect that procedure. not much call for it. Why didn't they just let the dimmer switch on the floor and the wiper switch on the dash cluster. That switch is expensive and the pieces fly and get discombobulated very quickly during disassembly. Good Luck.

richingalveston

i did mine, the switch in my tilt column is new. it took about 4 hours to do. you need two tools to do it. the spring compressor and there is a piviot pin removal tool (i think that is what it is called) I bought both tools and did the job when i first installed the column. I took pictures before I removed each part.
but with my luck on parts, it is probably a bad switch. I got the new motor (without pump) and will install it tonight.

yes the switch is very hard to replace. i have not worked on the non-tilt column but i bet it is not any easier.
Rich

richingalveston

put the new motor on and I still do not have intermittent functions. High and low work. low does not have much power, with a dry windshield they stick. On high the work good. The wipers also work with the wash function but no intermittent. both switches I have do the same thing. I think I am going to return the pulse module for a new one and try my luck there first. If I had some diagnostic paperwork, I would try to check for sure but since both switches have the same result my first step is to return the pulse module.
I added a ground strap just for the sake of trying and it did nothing.

Rich

joshuak

No tips for troubleshooting, but I do have working intermittent wipers on my ‘09 and would be happy to measure voltages anywhere along the circuit if it would help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks