• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction & a warning

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a 2007 M1097R1. I also own a 1971 M35A2, that I've had for 6 years.

I'm not shy about asking questions, even if they sound dumb. If you don't like people that are newbies you're probably gonna want to avoid my threads.

In the short term, I have to replace the fuel tank - someone drained it by drilling a hole in it then plugging that with a screw. It also came with no batteries. I want to quiet the interior a little - I have a ton of experience doing that on my Deuce. I have modded my deuce extensively, but my thought is to keep the humvee closer to stock for the moment.

Some pics from the auction. Right now it's at my mechanic friend's and I visited it yesterday but wasn't able to get there in the daytime.

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. The R stands for Recapitalization. If you're not familiar with this program, here's a brochure. I know that it originally would've been an earlier model year, but officially it's legally now a 2007.

Found some paperwork in the cab from 1991, but I haven't looked too closely at it yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck!
Yeah, I'm really pleased with the condition. Some of these get auctioned without 4 doors, so that was a plus even if one is tan. It was actually a non-runner so it went cheap. But once some fuel went in, it started right up. Still checking it out to see about the rest.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought a parts vehicle, 2005 M1114. I plan to strip the transmission (and other sundry parts) for my M1097. Pull the wheels/tires for spares, maybe some other parts. Sell the slant back pieces, maybe some other stuff and scrap the rest so it won't be in my possession long...hopefully.

I'm really trying not to spend money on this thing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy they got this wrong in the brochure, tons of the M1097R1s with three speeds, one thing I did not know was, according to the brochure all non armored trucks were RECAPED to M1097R1s, explains why we don't see RECAPED M998s.

"HMMWV M1097R1 configuration
incorporates a four-speed, electronic
transmission; a 6.5-liter diesel engine;
and improvements in transportability. It
has a payload of 4,400 pounds"

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy they got this wrong in the brochure, tons of the M1097R1s with three speeds, one thing I did not know was, according to the brochure all non armored trucks were RECAPED to M1097R1s, explains why we don't see RECAPED M998s.

"HMMWV M1097R1 configuration
incorporates a four-speed, electronic
transmission; a 6.5-liter diesel engine;
and improvements in transportability. It
has a payload of 4,400 pounds"
I believe I read on one of the articles about it the idea was to bring lighter versions up to snuff to where they would be able to have armor bolted to them if needed; so all of them became the heavy variant no matter what it started life as.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. The R stands for Recapitalization. If you're not familiar with this program, here's a brochure. I know that it originally would've been an earlier model year, but officially it's legally now a 2007.

Found some paperwork in the cab from 1991, but I haven't looked too closely at it yet.
Speaking of the R, my nephew is an Apache pilot. We were talking recently about HEMTTs in his battalion. He told me they have quite a few older ones with Rs in their model numbers. I was unaware that they were rebuilding older HEMTTs and giving them new model numbers with the Rs (I am aware that Oshkosh was rebuilding older trucks. I was just unaware about the R in the model numbers of the rebuilt trucks.). I thought it was interesting.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A co-worker, of a couple years, while filling out her time card once asked me "How many quarters are in an hour?" and I replied "4". She then said "No, there are 4 quarters in a dollar, how many in an hour?"

True story .... jus sayin.
A Mainsail quote: "No question is too stupid, but some questions are just stupid enough."

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought a parts vehicle, 2005 M1114. I plan to strip the transmission (and other sundry parts) for my M1097. Pull the wheels/tires for spares, maybe some other parts. Sell the slant back pieces, maybe some other stuff and scrap the rest so it won't be in my possession long...hopefully.

I'm really trying not to spend money on this thing.
I don't know how local you are, but there are several of us in Western WA, including Oly, Poulsbo, Bainbridge. So before you scrap, let us know please!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For sure have him secure that alt in the seat (and any other items) or it will likely take a hike, possibly injuring someone along the way!
You were not likely going to be able to roll it off the carrier anyway as the rear "steering" is disconnected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks