• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP cSt 1.2 specification

kapnklug

Just doing some research on what it means for an injection pump to have the spec "1.2 cSt." Apparently "cSt" refers to the viscosity of the fuel, with higher numbers being more viscous. These pumps are listed on several reman sites as "arctic", and its an expensive option: about $300 bucks more for a rebuilt pump w/ exchange. I'm unclear whether any J-code pump could be rebuilt to this spec, but I'd sure like to know, since winters here in upstate NY are frequently below zero for days. I bought my M1009 in the spring, so I'm unsure how well it will tolerate the cold. Also I have a core IP from a civilian Burb, can this be rebuilt to mil spec to be able to handle lower-grade fuel? and is there anything I can do to increase it's tolerance for WVO (viton seals or something)?

Jake59

Just doing some research on what it means for an injection pump to have the spec "1.2 cSt." Apparently "cSt" refers to the viscosity of the fuel, with higher numbers being more viscous. These pumps are listed on several reman sites as "arctic", and its an expensive option: about $300 bucks more for a rebuilt pump w/ exchange. I'm unclear whether any J-code pump could be rebuilt to this spec, but I'd sure like to know, since winters here in upstate NY are frequently below zero for days. I bought my M1009 in the spring, so I'm unsure how well it will tolerate the cold. Also I have a core IP from a civilian Burb, can this be rebuilt to mil spec to be able to handle lower-grade fuel? and is there anything I can do to increase it's tolerance for WVO (viton seals or something)?

Hello,
Interesting question!
Did you get any wiser since, after all it has been over 10 years by now.
Interested in hearing from your discoveries?

Jake

kapnklug

Hello,
Interesting question!
Did you get any wiser since, after all it has been over 10 years by now.
Interested in hearing from your discoveries?

Jake
Wow, ya it's been almost 11 years and still just as ignorant! Har
The M1009 has been my daily driver the whole time. Soon after this original post, I installed a rebuilt IP with the "1.2 cSt." It is a little harder to start in below-zero temps than my other 6.2 diesel snowplow truck, but this could be for a variety of reasons. I've always run #2 diesel with SlickDiesel additive in both, so no data on how it would perform with different fuels. After much searching I still can't find any upgrades to make these pumps more compatible with WVO or B50. So at this point i'd say, no noticeable difference with 1.2 cSt.

Jake59

Wow, ya it's been almost 11 years and still just as ignorant! Har
The M1009 has been my daily driver the whole time. Soon after this original post, I installed a rebuilt IP with the "1.2 cSt." It is a little harder to start in below-zero temps than my other 6.2 diesel snowplow truck, but this could be for a variety of reasons. I've always run #2 diesel with SlickDiesel additive in both, so no data on how it would perform with different fuels. After much searching I still can't find any upgrades to make these pumps more compatible with WVO or B50. So at this point i'd say, no noticeable difference with 1.2 cSt.
Hi again,

Actually I envy you, enjoying your CUCV for over 10 years already... I am merely in the phase of restoring my 1985 M1009, which I bought early 2019... want to make that my fun everyday driver and take it to events and alike...
My Injection Pump is a DB2 829-4879, so also good for fuels with as low as 1.2 cSt viscosity, which I understand includes military grades fuels like JP-5, JP-8, Jet A, Jet A-1.

As far as additives are concerned, I have been using diesel additives for at least half a million km ~300,000M now and I strongly believe these help remediate premature high pressure system failures due to lack of lubricity of today's low sulfur diesel fuels.
I do not use the overpriced market products you can buy in many stores, but make my own blend of lubricating products.
In Germany, taxi companies who operate their own fuel station, systematically add 2-stroke oil to their fuel pump/storage tanks so that their entire fleet gets "improved lubricity" fuel. The ratio is usually 250:1 or 0.4% additive. And German cabs are renowned for being reliable and very high mileage cars...
I alwasy carry 2 or 3 1L ~1Qt bottles with premixed additive (diesel with 2-stroke oil in an easy to calculate proportion: when I add 100ml of additive per 10L of diesel fuel tanked, I automatically get a 250:1 ratio, because of the way in which I premix diesel and 2-stroke oil in the bottles) in my trunk and will add it every time I stop for fuel. It comes down to adding 0.4% 2- stoke oil to my diesel fuel.
I currently drive a 2011 BMW 525d X drive diesel with DPF... checked and the combustion chambers are very clean, very very clean!
After reading the article below, I may have to change to soybean oil as an additive. Following their ratio of 50:1, that would mean adding about 3Qts of 100% Biodiesel to a full tank of diesel for my CUCV. But we don't have 100% biodiesel here, so therefore I am thinking of soybean oil, which is not biodiesel I know, but I guess it will provide about as good lubrication as the 100% biodiesel...

An interesting article I just found this week regarding additives to improve lubricity of diesel fuels: https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/lubricity-additive-study-results.177728/
Apparently REG 100% Biodiesel is THE best choice...

As for WVO or WMO and alike, I am curious what we can do without harming our engines... but I have to discover a lot on the subject first...
One thing I do know is that heating the WVO just before it reaches the filter may be very helpful.
I used to run a simple diesel fuel preheating device on my old Ford Sierra, which helped cold starts during winter time.
A very simple DIY construction actually: a solid block of aluminium about 2" x 1.5" x 1" with a hole drilled straight through the length and tapped on both ends to connect to the fuel line, so the diesel fuel flows in on one end and out on the other and then straight into the filter. A second hole parallel to the first one is also drilled and tapped so that you can lock in a good quality glow plug. The glow plug is wired over a relay and activated as soon as the ignition is turned on. On the side of the block a temperature switch is mounted, which is closed normally and opens once a preset temperature is reached, which depends on the temperature switch you have available/installed; I believe mine was set at 75 C (~ 170 F), but with diesel fuel or WVO it could be set a lot higher (actually up to 400C ~ 750F), provided the fuel line and filter can handle these temperatures..

Just sharing some ideas...

Jake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks