• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is Powder Coat worth it?

Babcut

1. I have very limited mechanic knowledge so please excuse any dumb questions from me. I'm learning as fast as I can.

I purchased a few hmmwv's for my mid life crisis and one is barely more than a frame. I plan to strip it completely and use another one, in rough condition for parts and combine them to get one beautiful working vehicle.

My question is it worth powder coating the frame? I have a local company with a massive oven which can take the entire frame in one piece and sand it / powder coat it for around 1500. I just wonder if there is a benefit to it or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks for the help :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to be middle of the road.

It's worth it if you plan to keep the item and aren't looking to get a return on the cost to sell it.

It's also NOT worth it, if the person/company doing the powder coating doesn't do it properly. I've seen powdercoated frames end up rusting again due to poor application.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree with @Lothar that it is way much easier to repair painted surfaces to get a better match than powder coating.
Powder coating is better and a harder finish but much harder then paint to match up.
It’s a personal choice.
I use good prep work and good quality paint to paint frames, panels and sheet metal but I have powder coated parts, mostly interior parts.

87cr250r

You need to use an inorganic zinc coating. If you simply powder coat any defect in the coating will lead to a failure. Only inorganic zinc can protect the coating adjacent to a defect. ALL coatings have defects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks