• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a place to download a transmission manual... I think its called the unit repair?

spankybear

One for like rebuilding the trans. I have looked in the TMs and I am not finding what I am looking for.

coachgeo

my understanding was when things got to that level..... engines and tranny's were just renewed...aka jobbed out to a non military business who earned a govt. contract to do the work. There may be no military manual for that level of work...... cause military did not do the work.

This process was part of the re-working of how all things are done compared to motor pool of the past where military did it all. Change started in late 80's early 90's?

Could be wrong.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
my understanding was when things got to that level..... engines and tranny's were just renewed...aka jobbed out to a non military business who earned a govt. contract to do the work. There may be no military manual for that level of work...... cause military did not do the work.

This process was part of the re-working of how all things are done compared to motor pool of the past where military did it all. Change started in late 80's early 90's?

Could be wrong.
spankybear, I believe coachgeo is most likely correct.

Repairs with whole unit replacement are a lot like these slushbox transmissions... Not taking anything away from those who served - but there simply isn't anything LESS COMPLICATED than a manual transmission. No sensors, no air powered switches - just gears and a clutch disc. Less things to break. Seems to me that dependability would be important for a vehicle that could potentially come under fire. Wonder who on the General Staff had stock in Allison Transmissions, Inc?

I remember back in the late 70's when school buses started having Allison Automatics in them. It was a sad day as far as all of us 16 to 18 year old bus drivers were concerned... Get granny off the couch and let her drive a bus :-(

I have a similar problem with the rotation manifold in my M936. It isn't passing voltage to the lights up on the deck of the crane. I feel sure there are brushes that have just finally worn out after 30 years. However, the best I have found is a picture of that component from the outside. I have been told the same thing. Whole unit replacement. Nothing in the TMs at all. :-( My hope is that I can get a whole unit from Csm Davis and that will allow me to fix mine - or rebuild the one I get from him or both.

spankybear

I know that that a transmission repair/rebuild is more likely a depot repair and would most likely be a contractor. I am looking for an Allison manual. NDT posted the Allison manual for the trans ECU and was hoping someone had a lead on the trans itself. I am not going to do anything major but replace the input seal and bushing. I want to know the torque values of the stuff I will be taking off to get to the bushing. I want to do this right the first time.

I have to ask about your M936... So there are lights that are not working on rotating platform? There must be some type of slip ring assembly. Some are rebuildable and some are not. I would think the corrosion would be more the issue.. But I have seem the wrecker so I not 100% sure. Post a picture of what you have.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guys, its all about time. Engines, transmissions and the like are changed out to save time. Vehicle down time, for a commander is a killer. Vehicle down time for a unit in combat is a real killer. No one looks much at money. They look at your readiness rating. There are many pieces of equipment, that when they are dead lined, the chain of command reports it directly to the Pentagon. Low readiness rating? Start looking for another job. Every military works that way. Some of my guys and gals could rip a engine out of a MEP-004A in two hours, (incredable short time) and have the replacement engine in, , in 3-4 hours. 6 hours down time verses days or weeks replacing rings or pistons? No contest.

Most componets are sent to a depot for repair. Here in Germany, the Depots are German run. They do very good work. Some items are sent to the States for repair. By and large they do very good work also. There is a reason to the madness, other then someone on the General staff having stock in a company.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
WWll nothing got fixed. It was financed and built and paid for and put in the ship and delivered. It was written off the books when it got paid for.
Maybe Koreas stuff began to get fixed, I don't know.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know that that a transmission repair/rebuild is more likely a depot repair and would most likely be a contractor. I am looking for an Allison manual. NDT posted the Allison manual for the trans ECU and was hoping someone had a lead on the trans itself. I am not going to do anything major but replace the input seal and bushing. I want to know the torque values of the stuff I will be taking off to get to the bushing. I want to do this right the first time.

I have to ask about your M936... So there are lights that are not working on rotating platform? There must be some type of slip ring assembly. Some are rebuildable and some are not. I would think the corrosion would be more the issue.. But I have seem the wrecker so I not 100% sure. Post a picture of what you have.
spankybear,

TM-9-2320-272-24P-2 image of what I called the "rotation manifold". TM calls it a "Hydraulic Swivel Assembly" Picture below...

I haven't removed mine since with no spare - the truck would be dead in the water. It passes fluid with no leaks. Just not 24v power. Could be Ground. I haven't dug into it deep enough yet. I have measured voltage to the bottom of the manifold though. Haven't though about checking ground until I typed this note... (Duh!)

M936 Rotation Manifold TM-9-2320-272-24P-2.jpg

M936 Rotation Manifold TM-9-2320-272-24P-2 PartNums.jpg

Last edited:

spankybear

Something isn't right with the part numbers... Is that Fig 400 and the part call out for fig 495?

spankybear

I have to asks can it swivel 360º+? Look like there are 3 wires going though. I would check continuity of all 3 wires.

Looks like it's fig 496. I come up with a US TACOM part number of 11669352 and a NSN of 4810-01-106-2062

Looks like your part may have been made by Hydromotion and their part number maybe 03-011-001 .

There are also a couple of other companies that made that part. Below is a link with all of the companies. Also a link for Hydromotion. You maybe able to get some help from them... maybe not... I don't know.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have to asks can it swivel 360º+? Look like there are 3 wires going though. I would check continuity of all 3 wires.

Looks like it's fig 496. I come up with a US TACOM part number of 11669352 and a NSN of 4810-01-106-2062

Looks like your part may have been made by Hydromotion and their part number maybe 03-011-001 .

There are also a couple of other companies that made that part. Below is a link with all of the companies. Also a link for Hydromotion. You maybe able to get some help from them... maybe not... I don't know.

Hi spankybear,

Yes sir. The boom will swivel 360. I agree that the picture gives the impression that wires travel through... On the page with part numbers - it references Figure 497. I just assumed it to be correct.

I can only assume that "wires through" isn't possible because in training videos that I found there is mention of full rotation. I think it is Eastern that has a M936 for sale and their video shows the boom circling the truck several times.

THANK YOU for the reference links. I figure asking them questions is cheap and easy. I will get some notes written, then follow them up with phone calls on Monday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks