• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a sketchup M1079 box out there

coachgeo

before I try with no knowledge yet to do a M1079 sketchup of the box..... has anyone got out out there to use? I did search first.. maybe I missed it?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much detail are you seeking? Just a box with "X" thickness walls and a door in a specific place? I could knock that out in a few minutes if you provide dimensions.

Chris

coachgeo

How much detail are you seeking? Just a box with "X" thickness walls and a door in a specific place? I could knock that out in a few minutes if you provide dimensions.

Chris
the more the merrier. My understanding is studs are 2" steel and skin aluminum. Leaves 2" insulation most likely

Attachments

coachgeo

the more the merrier. My understanding is studs are 2" steel and skin aluminum. Leaves 2" insulation most likely
some of the internals..... that make a difference for anyone looking to use sketch up to create someting inside the box can be seen in many photos from govt. planet. MME and others such as linsk below

https://picclick.com/1996-STEWART-STEVENSON-LMTV-M1079-MILITARY-OFFROAD-BUGOUT-301718489129.html#&gid=1&pid=9 (see Pics 9-12)
https://midwestmilitaryequipment.com/m1079-2-1-2-ton-lmtv-stewart-stevenson-4x4-camper-truck/

what ever you have time to include in drawings would most likely be highly appreciated by many for years to come

PS the electrical box shown in above links pics is behind the curside section where there is no window. Just inside on right as climb in rear door)

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be reasonably accurate, if someone could give coordinates to locate and properly size the windows, as well confirm the width of the studs in the wall along the longitudinal and transverse axes.

Also missing is the actual length, width and height of the box.

coachgeo

To be reasonably accurate, if someone could give coordinates to locate and properly size the windows, as well confirm the width of the studs in the wall along the longitudinal and transverse axes.

Also missing is the actual length, width and height of the box.
same box, different windows

in the PDF's above the windows fit in the 3 openings on one side and the two on the other. was thinking much could be figured from the stud distances in the pdfs (distances between studs are window sizes for example,assuming the 2" square tube which is industry standard I believe)

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
was thinking much could be figured from the stud distances in the pdfs (distances between studs are window sizes for example,assuming the 2" square tube
Making assumptions defeats the purpose of having an accurate model. Can someone out there take some measurements?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the data off the .jpg's has the structural components located in unlikely areas. Putting this together won't be difficult, but without accurate measurements, the model will be inaccurate and the details useless.

For starters, I don't have a definitive wall thickness which makes the wall components' locations inaccurate. I would be guessing at the location and dimensions of the windows as well as the actual dimensions of the wall components.

That said, here are two models, because they are pretty easy to whip up: the same basic box, one with 2" think walls, the other with 4". They are based on the assumption of a 144" x 90" x 78" external dimension box. The rear door is located using the data from the .jpg from above.

Models are not allowed to uploaded to the forum but I put them in the 3d warehouse. This should get them to show up:

You'll need to download and then open in your own session of Sketchup. I would be happy to add in more detail if someone is willing to furnish the data.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries, happy to help but better dimensions would make it a more useful exercise.

You can pick one of these and slice off the chassis if you're just looking for the cab:

When I measured the model, the wheelbases were off for the 1088 and the tires were slightly undersize. Check whatever you're doing for accuracy and adjust the model as necessary. I just uploaded the model I used for the screen capture above, with the tire sizes and wheel spacing corrected:

coachgeo

No worries, happy to help but better dimensions would make it a more useful exercise.
agree

You can pick one of these and slice off the chassis if you're just looking for the cab:

already started on one of those.. I do need the box primarily. As mentioned have only so far toyed getting my Rosco bus mirror (also found in 3d warehouse) rotated to fit onto one of the Camo FMTV models. Was doing this for practice toward attacking the box build out.
When I measured the model, the wheelbases were off for the 1088 and the tires were slightly undersize. Check whatever you're doing for accuracy and adjust the model as necessary. I just uploaded the model I used for the screen capture above, with the tire sizes and wheel spacing corrected:

thanks for the hint the camo models are not very accurate and that the red one is more accurate. Appreciate the link to it.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the hint the camo models are not very accurate and that the red one is more accurate. Appreciate the link to it.
All I did to make the red cab version was cut off the stuff that I wouldn't be needing and match the measurements I took on my own 1088 for the wheel bases and tire O/A dia. I think I verified the track width as well but don't specifically remember. The red cab is just the camo cab with the red paint instead of camo.

coachgeo

more info if one wants to get more exacting...

Ethan Turner Facebook said:
On a 1079 Van Box, it's definitely closed cell foam. I've cut holes in the walls and floor, floated a core sample in water for two weeks, and had zero absorption. The walls are 2" thick and the floors is 3" thick. Also, the interior skin is isolated from the framing and outside skin by a 1/4" thick layer of wood furring 1- 1/2 wide. So, the wood furring thermally decouples the exterior from the interior.

Edit: Some more info: The M1079 is insulated with Polyurethane foam which is rated at R-3.4 to R-6.7 per inch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks