• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this 23070?

USMC 00-08

I recently purchased this gas can for my 1952 GMC M135. Is this semi-gloss paint 23070? I have looked at Rapco's paint samples and this looks close but different. Any thoughts to what color it is? The first picture is with a sample of 24087.

100_1924.jpg100_1923.jpg100_1922.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say your can is 24087 and the sample is who knows what. Paint your truck in 24087 like the can.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just have them mix it the way it is in their computer, FS24087 in semi gloss and it should look like thispaint 002.jpg 54.jpg matching doesn't work so well. you have to remember that your gas can set outside for how many years and has faded getting lighter in color. Photos were taken within days of painting.

USMC 00-08

Yours is one of the samples I had mixed. That trailer looks great! Unfortunately Home Depot only sells flat samples so the one in the picture doesn't do the color justice.

I am trying to decide if I want to use the 24087 or use 23070 and make it right for the Korean War era.

SteveKuhn

To my eye, the can is too green to be either '87 or '70. I have both from Rapco and both of those have a distinct brown tint esp. in direct sunlight. In the thread you posted, look at pic4 in this post:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...e-this-week!&p=1135916&viewfull=1#post1135916 Note the brown tint behind the yellow nose.

You might be closer to what Warren used on Boonierat, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ng-Boonierat&p=1098413&viewfull=1#post1098413 but still no cigar. His paint is much more on the green side than the Rapco colors.

I think that picking the right spot on the can and getting a good match is the answer. It's a dated, original color aged 60+ years. Your truck would look spectacular.

Steve

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boonierat is the correct color for 24087. Rapco's Gillespie Coatings is way too brown.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember that in the past there were two different shades, at different times, of 24087 on the Federal Standard, one browner than the other...

Whats wrong for one application may be correct for another. I don't recall the details, you'll have to do your own research, but the info is on SS somewhere.

Cheers

SteveKuhn

If you Google 'M135 Military Truck' and then click on Images, there are a lot of color photos of original paint jobs (not restorations.) There are several different shades, many of them in the lighter WWII direction. Some are darker and more green like the can. My buddy's M37 is the can/Boonierat shade and it's a '53.

The original color of my M35 is the more brown/Rapco shade, as are many of the NOS parts like my 3 lever switch. The Rapco is actually a bit lighter, but there are some variations of shade even in the original parts.

Anyway, if the thought is to use the can as the color, I think it would be great for the whole truck. I don't think a match will be available from the mil-paint guys. I thought that was the idea rather than trying to get the perfect factory M135 color.

I'm eager to see how this turns out. I really like this series.

Steve

USMC 00-08

I did some more research last night. Maybe this is the original 2430?

I should have pointed out that my pictures make the can appear slightly more green than it looks in person. The paint on the bottom of the can is in really good shape. It was a little bit oxidized, much like the top of the can in the second picture, but I used some wax to clean it off to try to see what the original color was.

We'll see if Home Depot can match the bottom of the can. I really do like the color.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

By the time the camera and monitor get done messing with colors, nothing is right on a web page. When you get the sample, take it outside in both shade and sunlight for comparison. It might appear different than in the store.

Steve

SteveKuhn

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

I went to Home Depot today and tried to match up the color. Here is what we came up with after many attempts. Turns out a color they already had was the closest we could get with all the tweaking we did. The new color is slightly darker but I think I like it. Here are the pictures taken in full sunlight. The new paint is a small dot on the right hand side of the bottom of the can. The middle picture is the can sitting on top of a piece of metal I put a single coat of the new paint on for comparison.

Also here is the a picture of the code incase someone wants to use the same color or try to tweak it a little.

100_1929.jpg100_1928.jpg100_1926.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good to me! A few weeks after you paint it, it will have changed slightly too. Gillespie 383 substitute colours tend to alarm folks by having a sheen to them when newly applied, but after a week or two, it goes completely flat.

I personally still consider exactly correct colour to be a myth. So much of the final result depends on the initial mixing/measuring of the paint components, surface preparation, primer, atmospheric conditions when applied, etc. Where an item served effects it too, a vehicle in Northern Europe and a vehicle serving in North Africa, though having been painted together at the factory, will look quite different in a matter of weeks.

Cheers and Semper Fi

USMC 00-08

Thanks! I put a second coat of paint on the piece of metal. Will let it sit for a couple weeks and post up another picture of how it looks then.

USMC 00-08

It has been a "few" weeks so here are the pictures. The original color seemed quite a bit darker than the can the longer it sat. So... another attempt came up with this latest color. It has also been sitting for a few weeks and looks very close to the can. In fact, from less than 3 feet away, you can't see the sample at all.

The sample is just to the left of the darker green sample from before. Also the piece of metal the gas can is sitting on has both colors side by side.
100_2118.jpg100_2120.jpg

Now I just need to decide what color to use. This newest color matches the can perfectly, but the first color sample matches the inside of the tool box on my M135 almost perfectly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks