• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a GEP Navistar block?

Gunfreak25

The block in my M1009 has the dots in the intake valley like a lot of the GEP produced motors. But it lacks the Navistar diamond in the intake valley. I'm thinking it's a transition block made by GM just before they handed the reigns over to Navisar.

Are there any 6.2 nerds here who can decipher?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it say 6.2L on the front passenger side of the block? Between the timing chain cover and the passenger side cylinder head?

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of a Navistar 6.2.

For the GEP 6.5's its all in the casting numbers. The correct casting numbers for a GEP block (located on the other flange (right side)from the XXXX506 casting numbers) are two digit pairs followed by a letter, for example;

03 17 S

which indicates March 17, 2010. GEP began marking this way in 2000 starting with the letter H, skipped I (so as not to be confused with 1), and so on. S indicating 2010. Not sure how long that continued. Of course it has the opposing triangles in the valley as well.

Old style GM blocks were of the format that began with a letter. For example;

B212

I'm not sure how to decode these, but I know its been discussed elsewhere.1016161942c.jpg1016161943.jpg

Last edited:

richingalveston

i don't see a Navistar marking, need better pic. Navistar is two triangles back to back making a diamond. also would have 506 on it.
it is possible to have a 6.5 Navistar block built as a 6.2 coming out of the military but not probable.

Navistar started in 2001 so if your cucv came out of the auction after this date it is possible to have received a 6.5 Navistar as a 6.2 if it ever got an engine change in the military.
it is believed that Navistar still made the block up until 2015 when GEP switched to the Dalton foundry

I welcome all to correct my history
rich

Gunfreak25

I'll get additional pics tomorrow. It is stamped 6.2 in the front. I just thought the captains bars and dots in the intake valley was something special. Aren't plain run of the mill blocks void of these features?

Gunfreak25

Here's the only numbers I can find on the back. The front is marked 6.2.

richingalveston

you don't have a Navistar symbol anywhere in any pics and if is stamped 6.2 on the block then it is not Navistar.
it is a rare find to get a Navistar block in a cucv. hummers yes but not a cucv unless it got a military rebuild in the 2000's then yes it would probably have received a 6.5 block that was built to 6.2 specs. most navistars come out of hummers and they are not a direct drop in to a cucv because it is not a side mount turbo

Barrman

I just walked around my classroom looking at the valley of a few engines.

1985 CUCV 6.2 no dots.
1987 Chevy 6.2 no dots.
1994 NA Chevy 6.5 dots.
1995 Turbo Chevy 6.5 dots
1997 Turbo Chevy 6.5 dots
2005 GEP 6500 dots spelling out 506.

I have a 1988 6.2 at home that I could look at to see if it has dots. It is a different casting number than the CUCV engines. I think based on what I just saw on my walk that the dots got added for some reason between 1988 and 1994. I just haven't confirmed with my own eyes if the dots got added to 6.2 blocks since I don't have a 6.2 with dots.

I also think you got a pretty good sampling of the 6.x nerds to reply on this thread too. Most of us replied as called for.

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the help, so it's not a Nav block but it is peculiar it has the dots which I've only see on 6.5 blocks. I ran across a post last week of someone stating blocks like mine were a transition late 90s block kind of thing. I'll try to find it.

Gunfreak25

I didnt look far enough back on the driver side. Found this casting number. Cant see the right side, too cramped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks